Board suggestions for advanced woman rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board suggestions for advanced woman rider

I been on a hiatus from hills for about 7 years- and now I can get my munckins up there and excited to get back into riding more regularly.

I am out of touch with the technology changes the last decade and have been researching all the rocker and hybrid combo style and reviews of more advanced all mountain boards. I am not getting a clear idea of which type of technology and benefits would best meet my riding style and help me advance my technical riding skills more. I want to focus more this next year on my turning initiations and techniques on steeps, mogals and powder riding.

I am an advanced semi-aggressive all mountain (forward rider- lots of carving on both groomed, ungroomed some powder). Aging myself- I need to upgrade from my 150 Rossi Professional (circa late 90's- 2000). Its been alright over the years, a little stiff but good control and stable through chunky conditions. Not into park riding, tricks or much jumps.

Looking for suggestions on a previous year model for more advanced woman riders. I am been reading reviews and wondered about suggestions. Curious about Rome boards or Never Summers and some of the other lines I am not as familiar with from my old school days... I am 5'4 about 135lbs and considering the 155-160 size range. I am looking for the stability for deep carving but also some flex for quick turn initiations and as I mentioned want to push my skills up another notch. Thanks for any suggestions.
snowboardmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

at your size i'd be looking at boards in the low 150's. people are riding smaller boards these days, rocker lets a shorter board float well in pow, and other tech is making smaller boards more stable.

girls i know that rip like the gnu bpro,

neversummer lotus gets good reviews

dont know much about romes line, maybe an agent rocker in the smaller sizes.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post

girls i know that rip like the gnu bpro,
Same here.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Resident poet

yup...b-pro...if ur really want to get wild....billygoat
Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You might also like the libtech TRS in the 148N or 151N. I also feel like your desired range of 155-160 is longer than ideal. The TRS seems similar to the GNU B-nice but has the "Power" variant of C2 BTX which is supposed to be a little flatter and more aggressive, so it will be closer to camber that you are used to.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Nice to hear from an other lady liking rather big boards
Guess, we have quite the same prerequisites... was looking for quite a similar board (carving, stability) and got lots of sweet recommendations here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...me-choose.html
(was looking for a groomer board since I have my perfect powder stiffy, but most of the boards the guys recommended are also suitable for pow)
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Looking for a 2nd freeride board for my wife and the 2014 Never Summer Raven is on top of the list. You had mentioned that you wanted something not too hard to turn. If I'm not mistaken, they softened the flex between the bindings, but kept the board stiff longitudinally compared to the Lotus. Hopefully an NS rep can chime in.
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

I still am debating with my riding style considering a traditional camber board. I can't imagine going smaller than 150. I always have wanted more board to lean in even more with my old Rossi 150. Wouldn't a board with more flex and a rocker hybrid make me even want more board to lean in on?

I grew up riding northwest cement and in AK and now in an area that actually may get regular power. Sounds like something with rocker would help with the powder but not clear I like giving up the solid stability. I don't want too washy of a ride.

I actually like when I put work into some on steep terrain turns. I wonder if or how rockers/ hybrids technology could improve mogal/ steep turns response. I didn't get back out until late this spring and my mogal maneuvering was just a lot more kick-hop turns and not as smooth and controlled as I prefer. Not too sure I want to make turning too easy but rather get back to handling some steep terrain and bumps with a little grace.
snowboardmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
jtg
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardmama View Post
I grew up riding northwest cement and in AK and now in an area that actually may get regular powder.

If you moved somewhere else in hopes of more snow, I think you might realize that you've been spoiled. The NW gets the most powder in the world...

Anyway, there are weird outliers I keep hearing of, but for example Snowolf is 185lbs and rides a 156. So at your 135lbs, a 160 is pretty huge by most standards unless it's only a powder board. Again, it's not unheard of (neni seems to prefer it for example), but a survey of riders at your weight and skill level seems to be much more concentrated near 150 than 160.

Check this to get a better understanding of the camber/rocker/hybrid setups and what they are good at. Most brands have similar tech with different names:
http://www.lib-tech.com/snowboarding/technology/

You will probably be most interested in C2 (aka RC in Neversummer) or C3 perhaps. Here is Snowolf's review thread of an NS board that has RC and where he talks about some of the things you're wondering about:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/sno...er-raptor.html

In particular:
Quote:
Full rocker in deep powder is magical. I do not like full rocker on anything else however and want a board that does everything fairly well. I find that the RC hybrid is the best riding, most versatile profile in existence. One of the biggest advantages to rocker and RC is float in powder with shorter overall board length. Both this Raptor and my Billy Goat are 156 CM and I am 185. All of my traditional cambered decks are in the 160-162 range and dedicated powder board is a 169. The Billy Goat and the Raptor both float significantly better than that 169.

I find that camber-rocker-camber is my favorite RC configuration. I find it to be superior in powder and the most agile in tight trees, technical steeps and large moguls. The rocker between the feet also adds a level of playfulness that turns the entire mountain into a fun terrain park. The dual camber zones under foot provide exceptional edge hold and superior carving performance. This profile handles nearly identical to traditional camber when ridden with high edge angle.

Last edited by jtg; 04-02-2013 at 06:09 PM.
jtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardmama View Post
Sounds like something with rocker would help with the powder but not clear I like giving up the solid stability. I don't want too washy of a ride.

I actually like when I put work into some on steep terrain turns. I wonder if or how rockers/ hybrids technology could improve mogal/ steep turns response. I didn't get back out until late this spring and my mogal maneuvering was just a lot more kick-hop turns and not as smooth and controlled as I prefer. Not too sure I want to make turning too easy but rather get back to handling some steep terrain and bumps with a little grace.
Doesn't sound like RC to me... Was testing several boards recently. I like stability and response. Didn't like the "gym. ball between feet" feeling of all the RC I tested (NS Raven, NS SL, NS Raptor, Burton Sherlock - this with flying V). It also doesn't sound as if you should get a too short board. If you're used to put some force on the board, you need a board that can handle this pressure. The 146 Raven was not holding the backside edge when I was leaning in (on nice steep groomer). Liked the Ride Highlife 155 a lot. Easier to turn in moguls and a bit damper than my board (Jones Flagship 158), very stable and responsive, great carver. But in afternoon groomers this board could also get uncomfortable.
Have a look into Camrock (CR) shapes. A rather stiff but well dampened one. My impression was, that I get the best out of this shape: the rocker on the nose improves float in pow and isn't as catchy while carving in not perfectly groomed conditions as trad. camber. And you get the stability while straight lining.
Liked the Salomon Idol (wished it would have been longer than 149 to get a proper idea of it). It has less torsional flex than other womans boards thus pretty good edgehold and response. I've never ridden the Jones Mothership, but it might be worth looking at. It's damper than the Flagship, what could provide a less harsh ride in chopped up crud. In two weeks I can give some feedback on the Nidecker Megalight.

Last edited by neni; 04-03-2013 at 07:28 AM.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
woman advanced boards