Positioning of the feet ACROSS the board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Positioning of the feet ACROSS the board.

Hi All. First post.

I always set my bindings so that an equal amount of boot shows at either edge of the board. I've been happy this way and not noticed any problems. However on a recent trip to France I met a guy whose toes overhung more than his heel - it was quite noticeable. When I asked him about it his logic seemed pretty sound: he said that whenever he moves on his feet on a board to make a turn he's focusing his energy through either the ball of the foot or the heel - the toes are effectively superfluous for snowboarding purposes, so he ignores them and centres his boot so that the heels and balls of his feet are equidistant from the edges.

Even outside of boarding this intuitively makes sense as who (apart from ballet dancers) ever actually stands on the end of their toes?

Is he right? He was certainly a better rider than me, but that could well have been in spite of his foot position and not because of it. Any opinions much appreciated!
greengriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can see the logical reasoning behind this but it doesn't work that way. When using your toe side you don't just use the balls of your feet but also the toes. It is true that it's not just the toes but usually your balance is somewhere in between or rather generally on your forefoot. You can try it right where you are. Put your foot in a position that simulates a toe side turn. You will notice that your toes play more of a role than you think.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
I can see the logical reasoning behind this but it doesn't work that way. When using your toe side you don't just use the balls of your feet but also the toes. It is true that it's not just the toes but usually your balance is somewhere in between or rather generally on your forefoot. You can try it right where you are. Put your foot in a position that simulates a toe side turn. You will notice that your toes play more of a role than you think.
You know what, I don't consciously think about how I make turns anymore, so this is an interesting exercise. Standing here in front of my computer simulating a toe side turn (no one else is around to see me luckily), I'm certainly aware that when I collapse the front knee a little to initiate the turn there is quite a lot of pressure on my toes rather than just the ball of the foot. If I then do it again whilst trying to go only to the ball of my foot then it doesn't feel right at all (although what 'feels right' to me is rather subjective I admit).
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Still being a relative NooB to the sport, I couldn't speak from any real knowledge or experience. It sounds logical on the face of it, but with the toes of the boot sticking further out beyond the edge of the board I would think "Toe Drag" would become the bigger issue.

On a hard toe side carve, wouldn't having your boots toes extending farther than necessary cause toe drag and have a tendency to lift/kick the edge out of your line & cause a washout?

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I've actually played with both positions and find centering the boot works best. Too much toe overhang and you lose heelside leverage and spinning off the heels becomes very difficult, and having the balls of your feet over the toe edge give too much power transfer to the edge that already has the advantage in that area. Plus toe drag pretty much limits how aggressively you can lay a carve. This would be the least ideal boot position.

Having more heel overhang puts the balls of your feet closer to the center of your board and actually increases control, especially off of jumps and sliding boxes and rails, and the heel overhang adds more power transfer to the heel edge. The downside is it also increases your chances of hanging up on an edge when you're boardsliding backwards, which I found happened alot. Centering the boot is the best way to go.

Personally, I think the kid was just BS'ing you because his bindings didn't fit his boots.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post

Personally, I think the kid was just BS'ing you because his bindings didn't fit his boots.
Lol. In all seriousness it's good to know that at least one other person has tried it though. After what you've both said I don't think I'll be breaking out my screwdrivers any time soon :-)
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
HAHAHAHA!!!!

I recently got some high level coaching on carving from someone who used to coach at olympic level. He noted that when holding a toe side carve your toes should not at all be engaged, in fact, you should be able to wiggle your toes while holding a toe side carve. This is because you should be using your shins to lean forward into your boot to hold the carve, eliminating the use of your toes which helps to absorb bumps as you are not effectively pushing off the ground.

Just a thought, apart from that what Extremo said haha!!!
ninjalovegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Still being a relative NooB to the sport, I couldn't speak from any real knowledge or experience. It sounds logical on the face of it, but with the toes of the boot sticking further out beyond the edge of the board I would think "Toe Drag" would become the bigger issue.

On a hard toe side carve, wouldn't having your boots toes extending farther than necessary cause toe drag and have a tendency to lift/kick the edge out of your line & cause a washout?
Not a single emoticon?! You're ill...?

Yes, toe drag would be an issue. The kid was certainly not into carving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjalovegod View Post
I recently got some high level coaching on carving from someone who used to coach at olympic level. He noted that when holding a toe side carve your toes should not at all be engaged, in fact, you should be able to wiggle your toes while holding a toe side carve. This is because you should be using your shins to lean forward into your boot to hold the carve, eliminating the use of your toes which helps to absorb bumps as you are not effectively pushing off the ground.
that's what I surveyed monitoring me riding last weekend (forward stances, stiff boots, well tightened). Toes are used to initiate a turn, then the shins/knees do the work and toes are free to jump in if mini-adjustments are needed.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Not a single emoticon?! You're ill...?

Yes, toe drag would be an issue. The kid was certainly not into carving.
...just a little "post season" depression!
I'll be back to my old self, creepin' out the ladies in no time!!!

I appreciate the concern tho!!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sometimes it is good not having monster feet!

But even with my size 9s I have noticed my toes dragging on some sharp turns and when carving toeside up a ramp/berm
tokyo_dom is offline   Reply With Quote