Jones All Mountain Twin v Libtech TRS v Libtech Travis Rice Pro - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jones All Mountain Twin v Libtech TRS v Libtech Travis Rice Pro

Im looking to buy a new board but am stuck between these three boards.
First off, I am 6' 205lbs and would consider myself an advanced rider. I ride mostly all-mountain and mostly hitting jumps along runs more than going into the park, but I am thinking about starting to hit park jumps more. I'll ride just about any line but will look to hit any jumps I see on the way down.
I would like a board that allows me to do just about everything, except jibbing, my main focuses are a board that is poppy so I can have some fun with butters/presses in the powder and side hits but also will float in the powder. I would like a twin board so I can ride switch. I just broke my 157 Salomon Strobe and need to replace it. Im thinking about moving up to a 159-160 length as I found my 157 didn't really float in powder with my centered stance.

I know its a little soon to be asking for too much advice on the new 13-14 models but I think im going to wait so the best knowledge as to what they will be like or just what the 12-13 are like would be greatly appreciated.

Jones: New 13-14 model looks sick and I have read great things except at high speeds. Reviews might have been a few years old but said it is not stable at high speeds and the magnetraction doesn't hold on ice very well because it is minimal. Has this changed in recent models? Or is this because the board is camber at the center and rocker at the tip and tail when the Lib-techs are Rockered middle and cambered ends?

Travis Rice: I know this is a little stiffer than the TRS so might be a little better because I am heavier than more boarders my height. I am not sure if this will make it less playful though. Also kinda like that its detuned already to T.Rice's specs

TRS: I know this and the T. Rice are pretty similar but there are differences. Especially with the new XC2 in the 13-14 I am not sure which board shape will be better for what I am looking for. I'm thinking the XC2 will make the board more playful than the other 2. (keep in mind my old board is camber, but I do want to move to a rocker camber comb)

I guess it comes down to the different board shapes.

I am leaning towards the TRS in a 159 although I don't know if the additional cambered tip and tail for 13-14 will be better for me or not.
Baumer39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For starters nix the Mtn Twin. It's actually full directional.

For camrock in your prefered style look into the YES Greats.

The Rice and TRS arent bad boards, but know that if your Salomon had carbon these Libs wont really feel "lively" to you. The whole general ride character of Mervins in my experience is best described as snowboarding on cruise control. Not a ton of energy so you'll never get bucked, a rocker that's easy to ride, and magne means you don't have to pay attention to your edges. Put all that into one board and snowboarding is pretty mind-off. I've never really been able to load their tips and even with Magne they wash just a tad when I try and snap out of a euro-carve. It may be something that doesnt bother you or you may even like the way they ride, just a heads up.

I would take a good look at the Flow Rush as long as you don't really care about sliding metal or boxes in the park (the ABT is fine everywhere else, but it's slow on jibs). It has a ton of snap, a mellower version of rocker similar to C2, and the 5 radial sidecut is super dialed and grippy when you need it.

You might also look into the K2 Happy Hour. Soft torsionally but strong tip to tail means its easy to drive and a blast in powder. Drives under foot well.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
For starters nix the Mtn Twin. It's actually full directional.
Hey, just curions: what makes the Jones Mountain Twin actually fully directional?

Thx.
FireStarter451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Inserts are set back 2cm and the tail is stiffer than the nose.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can only speak for the All Mountain Twin but have found it to be a very solid all-mountain board. The edge hold is great, works great on ice. I have not really ridden it on powder so I can't speak to that. I think it's a good board all round, I don't really have anything negative to say.
timmytimmytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

For the OP: I haven't noticed much of a difference in flex between the nose and the tail. When pressing the nose or the tail the flex seems about the same. It's hard to say 100% since it's impossible to lean exactly the same amount both ways, or even measure it, but I don't know that I feel a difference even when I try to bend them with equal effort. Perhaps another Jones Mountain Twin rider can opine. Torsionally there's a slight difference but that might be because of the slight setback.
FireStarter451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
The Rice and TRS arent bad boards, but know that if your Salomon had carbon these Libs wont really feel "lively" to you. The whole general ride character of Mervins in my experience is best described as snowboarding on cruise control. Not a ton of energy so you'll never get bucked, a rocker that's easy to ride, and magne means you don't have to pay attention to your edges. Put all that into one board and snowboarding is pretty mind-off. I've never really been able to load their tips and even with Magne they wash just a tad when I try and snap out of a euro-carve. It may be something that doesnt bother you or you may even like the way they ride, just a heads up.
The way you describe Mervin you seem to have a negative bias. Or is this just in terms of my preference of wanting a poppy board? I am wondering from what you said if Lib-tech would be great in powder but not be as lively on hard pack? Also my Salomon did have some carbon. So if I want something with similar or a little more pop should I stay away from a Lib-tech if it will be a resort first powder second board?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumer39 View Post
The way you describe Mervin you seem to have a negative bias. Or is this just in terms of my preference of wanting a poppy board? I am wondering from what you said if Lib-tech would be great in powder but not be as lively on hard pack? Also my Salomon did have some carbon. So if I want something with similar or a little more pop should I stay away from a Lib-tech if it will be a resort first powder second board?
Have you ever ridden a board with rocker between your feet? If not, I'd try and demo the libs before buying. Your old board was camber so the libs are going to feel completely different. Not saying it wouldn't work for you but I'd be wary of purchasing based on reviews without trying it first. Especially if you have never been on a cam-rock-cam profile before.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I haven't riden a board with a cam-roc-cam profile before. I do want to demo a board before I buy it because I do know they ride differently. I do want a board that has the hybrid camber. Any thoughts on cam-roc-cam vs roc-cam-roc like on the YES Greats board, keeping in mind my preferences from above?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

RCR rides a lot like a cambered board just more loose. I haven't ridden that many but the adjustment from full camber isn't hard.
CRC rides significantly different and takes 2-3 days to really get it dialed. What you lose is the pop and spring exiting carves but in general what you gain is faster edge to edge transition and better pivoting. Rides pow better IME also as it feels slightly more surfy than RCR variations
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote