Anthem length and width question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
LiV-Z

Default Anthem length and width question

I am an intermediate snowboarder, 5í10, 155 lbs, and have a 10.5 shoe size. I think Iím done growing but might get a little bit bigger in the future. Iím into maybe about half freeride and half freestlye, but leaning more towards the freeride side. I recently bought a rome anthem 159 and had a few questions about its length and width:

On romeís website, the recommended weight for the 159 is 135-195lbs (165lb average) where the 156 length is 125-185lbs (155lb average). Is the 159 too long for me right now? Would I notice that much of a difference in switching to the 156? I know Iím in the range for the 159, but Iíve read about a lot larger people than me getting shorter boards. I gather that, generally, the shorter the board gets, the better it is for freestyle but worse it gets for freeride. But will a 3 cm change really matter that much? My problem is that Iím not sure if I will grow any more and donít want to invest in a board that wonít last long.

For the width, I have read that a little bit of toe and heel hang is ok. So if my boots stick out around 3/4 - 1 inch on each side, is this likely to cause a problem?

Thanks for your help in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiV-Z View Post
I am an intermediate snowboarder, 5’10, 155 lbs, and have a 10.5 shoe size. I think I’m done growing but might get a little bit bigger in the future. I’m into maybe about half freeride and half freestlye, but leaning more towards the freeride side. I recently bought a rome anthem 159 and had a few questions about its length and width:

On rome’s website, the recommended weight for the 159 is 135-195lbs (165lb average) where the 156 length is 125-185lbs (155lb average). Is the 159 too long for me right now? Would I notice that much of a difference in switching to the 156? I know I’m in the range for the 159, but I’ve read about a lot larger people than me getting shorter boards. I gather that, generally, the shorter the board gets, the better it is for freestyle but worse it gets for freeride. But will a 3 cm change really matter that much? My problem is that I’m not sure if I will grow any more and don’t want to invest in a board that won’t last long.

For the width, I have read that a little bit of toe and heel hang is ok. So if my boots stick out around 3/4 - 1 inch on each side, is this likely to cause a problem?

Thanks for your help in advance
i'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in, but there's supposed to be a bit over overhang with the boots. 3/4" is cool. with the anthem and its stiffness i'd focus more on the freeride/all mtn aspect. great board though, i love it. i don't know if you're looking at this seasons or last but the last season's top graphics is pretty sweet.

156 sounds like the ticket for your weight range but you'd probably be better served waiting for someone else to lend their knowledge. i have the same size shoe (10.5) and the 154 anthem (not flag) serves me well. if you can help it, try not to get a wide board. i heard they suck for side-to-side transition.
squishydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
snowboardcoach

I concur I would lean more towards the 156 and yes you will notice a difference. There is all this tech stuff that comes into play wity length and width like effective edge and it relation to the length. Check out a few different decks at a shop the next time and look on the base for the specs and choose a couple boards with the same length and most likely they will have different effective edge specs. Your effective edge is basically how much of the edge is in contact with the show during a turn; that's nerdy tech stuff for ya. Also try a friends board in the same size and see if you can tell the difference. Your boot should be fine on your ROME Most "standard width" boards will accomodate up 10.5 boot sometimes squeeze an 11 but beyound 11 look for a wide. Toe drag is a drag...The anthem is pretty sweet ride for sure enjoy!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
LiV-Z

Thanks for your help guys.

I had a few more questions. Iím not sure if I want to switch to a 156 since I got the 159 for 40% off and canít find the 156 for that cheap of a price. I understand that the 156 is ideal for me now, but would the 159 still work well, but just be a little less maneuverable? I just donít know if I want to spend a lot more money on something that would only be a little better if the one I have is still decent. Also, if I grew 10-20 lbs and maybe an inch taller, would the 156 still be the best choice?

Thanks again
Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

a 159 is a huge board. it will not maneuver even close to as good as the 156
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
snowboardcoach

A lot of shops do trades. Bring your board to the shop, pick out what you are looking for and they will give hopefully a reasonable $$ amount to you in trade towards the new shred stick...Check it out you might be surprised...Even if you grow a bit the 56 still will be the better choice. Just watch your boot size.