Total Noob, Help Please! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
CherBear

Cool Total Noob, Help Please!

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I've been wanting to try snowboarding for a while now. I'm confident I'll love the sport as I'm sick and tired of being left behind every weekend while all of my friends go skiing. Skiing seems too stuffy for me so snowboarding is what I'd like to try! I skiied way back when and I like the rush, so like I said, I have no doubts I'll love snowboarding.

I read your "new boarders read this please" thread and here are my answers to your questions:

I'm about 5'5 and 135 pounds. I have no idea what my boot size is! My standard shoe size is 7.5-8.5. I have no idea what my riding style would be, but I definitely want to start slow. I'm 23 and I don't really have a budget, but I don't want to go crazy either. I'm in Colorado and plan to be in Telluride a lot.

So anyway, I know NOTHING about any of the equipment other than that I need boots, bindings and a board. So any and all advice is welcome! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
forum_jiblet

well if you are looking to do park you want a flexy board with mondo pop that is a little smaller than it should be, short backed bindings.. and some good boots... NEVER CHEAP OUT ON BOOTS and ALWAYS try em on before you buy!!!

if you are looking to do more pow. you will want to get a longer, stiffer board... and some high back bindings.. again GOOD BOOTS are key...

binding angle is all you... what ever feels comfortable... i ride with 5* angle on the back and, 15* angle on the front..
Old 10-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
ThinkFloyd

Most people would give this advice: Rent First.

You neverknow for sure if you'll like it. Rent. Figure out what kind of boarding you're interested in doing, and then invest.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
forum_jiblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkFloyd View Post
Most people would give this advice: Rent First.

You neverknow for sure if you'll like it. Rent. Figure out what kind of boarding you're interested in doing, and then invest.
i was going to say that but i forgot :P
Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
snowboardcoach

Ummmmm the only part I totally agree with is the boots. Spend your money on the boots doesn't mean spend oodles of money. As a "noobie" get most comfortable boots without spending more than $275. They should last you a bit. Next get bindings that work well with the boots go ahead a spend some money here also, they will be with you for a while, pick your boots then actually try on the binding with the boot. a knowledgable shop person will point you in the right direction. Boards are expendable. They will change as your ability changes. Start with something easy to ride around $275-325 maybe a little small like a 147cm 150 okay to start with...Believe it or not in most cases price relates to ability. There are a lot of brands out there so pick some decks in the same price range that might suite your ability and then pick the graphic out what you have to choose. If your female? sorry if you are not...but definately look to Female spec boards, boots and bindings. The boards are lighter, narrower for smaller feet and the binders have lower highbacks. So without going with you happy shopping!
Old 10-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rent the first few times before you start buying.

If you are piecemealing gear together after renting, start with boots and work you way from there as suggested.

Renting is key, because there is always the chance you'll find out this sport is not for you. All of us love it, but it's also not for everyone. So give a try, you'll probably love it, but if not at least you didn't spend a crap load of money on something you're not into.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardcoach View Post
Ummmmm the only part I totally agree with is the boots. Spend your money on the boots doesn't mean spend oodles of money. As a "noobie" get most comfortable boots without spending more than $275.
What he said. Money does not equal comfort. Money may well equate to better workmanship or special features or great after sale service, but is not indicative of comfort.

The only way to know for sure is to try on a ton of boots. And not just for 2 minutes either, stomp around the store until the hot spots show up or 20 minutes, whichever comes first.

It doesn't matter how much or how little you spend or how much everyone raves about their pair, if your feet hurt, your day will suck.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
CherBear

Thanks, guys! I rented one time about seven years ago and had a good time, though I didn't get to go very long. I definitely plan to rent (a family friend owns a board shop) first and take it from there. So, boots are the most important? Makes sense. I'll be sure to pick them out first and walk around in them until I'm finished shopping.

As far as the board itself goes, I am looking to do something more... I guess you call it freestyle? Taking the lift up, going down the trails, etc. Is one board type more specific to that? I'm sure I could ask the family friend all of these questions, but I don't want to go in there completely ignorant.

And yes, haha, I am female and wouldn't think of not getting female specific gear... We just don't have the same body shape as men and it's silly to try to make something work when you can get something that actually fits you.

Last edited by CherBear; 10-20-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
snowboardcoach

There are classes for boards but learn to ride b4 you worry too much about that! Bottom line is have fun! No fun not worth it!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherBear View Post
Taking the lift up, going down the trails, etc. Is one board type more specific to that?
Are there other options I don't know about?

Get yourself a regular all mountain board. Anything else is just going to hinder your learning(which never stops). And DEFINITELY rent first.