Storing board for the off-season? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Storing board for the off-season?

I just got into snowboarding so I'm kind of dumb when it comes to this haha...Anyway, so I've heard a few people say that you should wax your board before storing it for the off-season. Well, when I bought my board, I had a shop tune it and wax it. I've only been on the snow twice this season so should I wax it again before I store it or is the wax that they put on it going to stay?

By the way, how often should I wax my board?
taaaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

if it's nighttime, i wax,lol... sometimes just the perimeter and a re-smoothing of it all

if there's fresh snow, i wax...nothing worse than getting out there finding out that you shoulda... worth getting your own basic waxing and tune-up stuff and learning how, it's easy cost as much as 1 or 2 tune-up at the show

saw someone mention waxing the edges for summer storage, makes sense to me, so why not...
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Some people wax it before each session, some other every now and then. And some never.

I personally do it on a regular basis (every couple of sessions or so). If you care about your board and want to preserve its base, it's common sense really. In any case, it can't hurt to wax it often.

As far as storage goes, it is recommended to store it waxed, flat, in a dry environment. If you've only used it twice, you probably still have some wax left in the base, but I highly doubt it fully covers the edges.

If you're into snowboarding, get yourself a waxing kit. You may even get some pleasure doing it. Or not.
Sycomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wax mine but don't scrape it before storing it. Over the summer the wax seems to dry out and in the fall there's not much left to scrape off. I believe that this keeps the base from drying out. Some say this is b.s but it's easy to do.

I store my boards standing up on their tail and don't stack them on each other. I don't think it matters how you store the board e.g standing up/lying down as long as you don't have weight on them.

As for how often to wax, sintered bases start to get dry/white at the edges as the wax wears away, that's how you can see when wax is needed. Depending on the snow texture you may need to wax every day or two or you may only need to wax after quite a few sessions. Some say waxing is bullshit and you don't need it but I'm sure it gives you some extra glide in the flats and I hate skating.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Really found it isn't necessary. Have left my old board drying out all summer yet it still takes a hot wax just fine. I do glob a bunch of wax on my newer boards, then scrape it off in the fall. Melting the wax over the edges does help with the rusting.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Some wax, some don't. Winter / Summer. It takes little or no time to toss on a layer: don't be neat about it. Let it run down all over the edges and you will keep the rust off your edges. Clean it up before your first ride next season. Oh, next season........
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks for your help guys!

So, I'll just put some wax on it and not scrape it off to be safe. I don't want my board to get messed up.

Quote:
Oh, next season........
Yeah, I know...So far away Funny, I've never wanted it to get back cold again until I started boarding haha
taaaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaaylor View Post
So, I'll just put some wax on it and not scrape it off to be safe. I don't want my board to get messed up.
Anybody that says you need to wax it so it doesn't dry out doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. People, THEY'RE SNOWBOARDS NOT FUCKING BARBIE DOLLS!

The board is not going to de-camber if it's not laid flat, it's not going to "dry out" because it was never wet to begin with. It's plastic! FUCK!

I'm all for proper maintenance of the board, but this is getting retarded. Wax the board as often as you think you need (for me that works out to anywhere from 4-10 days on the board depending on how lazy I am), and don't worry about it for the summer. I store mine in a board bag hanging on my garage wall.

As long as you're not stacking pianos on it or using it as an improptu cutting board, all will be well...
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Someone once mentioned rubbing some wd-40 along the edge all the way around to prevent rust over the summer.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

anything that will block the air getting to it, oxidation should work, you could put butter if you want, yum

and to anyone who never waxes, please stay to the right...or left, pick a side
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
board, off-season, store