Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   How do you fix deep nicks and dinge in the edge? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/78114-how-do-you-fix-deep-nicks.html)

pdxrealtor 04-04-2013 08:47 PM

How do you fix deep nicks and dinge in the edge?

I've been really trashing my edges this year. Not sure if it's due to coverage or just being in the trees more, or both.

In any event I have several medium and deep dings. Deep I'd say means just over half way through the edge to the board.

How do you all deal with type of damage?

Debur and sharpen the edges and leave the nicks and dings there or do you try to file down to get rid of the nicks and dings?

poutanen 04-04-2013 11:38 PM

I brought my rock board into a shop this year and had them just do an edge tune. However much they ground off was enough to get 99% of the big damage out.

Every time I tune at home I can't take off enough material to even it out, I think it's gotta go through the machine.

Also, this board had a base grind so they were taking metal off both sides of the edge.

SilverSurfer 04-05-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor (Post 895234)
I've been really trashing my edges this year. Not sure if it's due to coverage or just being in the trees more, or both.

In any event I have several medium and deep dings. Deep I'd say means just over half way through the edge to the board.

How do you all deal with type of damage?

Debur and sharpen the edges and leave the nicks and dings there or do you try to file down to get rid of the nicks and dings?

I've had good luck with J-B Weld. Just make sure you dont get crazy with the amount applied. After its dried you can smooth it out with a file or dremel tool.
J-B Weld | Original Cold Weld Formula Steel Reinforced Epoxy

andrewdod 04-05-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 896098)
I've had good luck with J-B Weld. Just make sure you dont get crazy with the amount applied. After its dried you can smooth it out with a file or dremel tool.
J-B Weld | Original Cold Weld Formula Steel Reinforced Epoxy

i dont think id ever do anything like that to my edges... to clamp my topsheet back down yes... but not to reshape my edges.:unsure:

SilverSurfer 04-05-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdod (Post 896618)
i dont think id ever do anything like that to my edges... to clamp my topsheet back down yes... but not to reshape my edges.:unsure:

He not trying to reshape the edge. He is try to fill in a deep nick or gouge. JB weld is like liquid steel that you can file and grind when its dry. Ive used it to fix holes in motorcyle crankcases. It will bond to just about any metal.

andrewdod 04-05-2013 01:46 PM

yeah, i just dont like the idea of an outside compound going on my edge. i feel like it could have some adverse effects

SilverSurfer 04-05-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdod (Post 896674)
yeah, i just dont like the idea of an outside compound going on my edge. i feel like it could have some adverse effects

If you prefer a big ass nick in your edge slowing you down, then dont do it.

andrewdod 04-05-2013 02:11 PM

its not that, id rather file it down... im not here to argue with you...

BurtonAvenger 04-05-2013 03:12 PM

The guy doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, a crank case is a lot different than an edge. The best way is to take the edge down to get rid of it but then you also are taking away from the edge taking away from its lifespan. It's a give or take.

SilverSurfer 04-05-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdod (Post 896754)
its not that, id rather file it down... im not here to argue with you...

If you read the OP he says that the nick is over half way through the edge. That is something you cant file out, it needs to be filled in.