Burton Board for bad conditions? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton Board for bad conditions?

Sorry if I'm posting up anything that has been posted before, but I'm new to this forum so please bear with me!

I've lately started snowboarding in Japan but have been going quite often and have improved quite a lot. I've started with a 2012 Burton Custom Flying V, I recognise that this is a less than ideal board for beginners, but I got offered an amazing deal on it from a friend who works in the industry and have found it absolutely brilliant, I've had no issues learning on it whatsoever!

I guess I'm approaching an intermediate(ish) level; can handle all terrain on the park, carve turns, jump a bit etc. but my knowledge on snowboards themselves is slim to non-existent, anyway, as suggested earlier I go riding often, so want to get a second board to use in different situations to my Flying V. Ideally, I want something better suited to less than ideal to bad conditions; ice, moguls and so on. Would I be right in assuming that a stiffer cambered board would be a good idea?

As suggested earlier, I have a friend who can periodically get me amazing deals on Burton products, so amazing in fact that I'm very unlikely to buy anything else...

With that in mind could you advise me on a Burton board good for these conditions? I can afford something reasonably high end, so I thinking a Custom X might be suited?

Would appreciate any advise you might have!
MikeInJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Depends what you like to ride. My first board was a burton 2012 custom camber and it was great for pretty much all conditions. I wanted something softer since I like to ride park just as much as all mountain and ended up switching to the 2013 process camber for next season. The custom x is very stiff, coupled with the camber will be less forgiving to slight technique errors. I would say the only thing holding you back from hitting all conditions is that flying v supposedly sucks on ice. If you're only going to consider burton than look at the descriptions on their websites to narrow down what fits you, then look up reviews on your top choices.

Disclaimer I also got a burton as my first board due to an amazing deal, but since learning about the many options out there I can't wait to try out something else as well.

Happy hunting, now is the time Dogfunk has some great summer savings deals ( hence the new process)
bmaniga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Sherlock with the new edge profile rocks on the ice too. Best resort board IMO.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Custom X will chew up cruddy snow and has excellent edge hold, good choice to complement your Flying V board.

I really like Flying V in soft snow, I have a Sherlock, and I have a cambered burton board for icy or cruddy snow.

Custom X is very stiff so moguls may not be its strong suit but otherwise it will complement the Flying V custom very well. Good 2 board quiver.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
Sherlock with the new edge profile rocks on the ice too. Best resort board IMO.
Did you compare to the previous year, is there a really big improvement?

I might just have to upgrade.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote