A new convert needs equipmenthelp - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A new convert needs equipmenthelp

Greetings to you all!

I just came back from the best snowvacation I ever had. Normally I ski and I've always liked that, although it had been a few years. A few weeks ago, my parents asked us to come along and we jumped at the occasion. We went to Sankt Johan im Pongau, Austria, and had the most awesome weather and fantastic powder.

Because my legs hurt when skiing, I tried my hand at snowboarding and liked it straight away! In the next 3 days I rented my board and boots, 3x in a different shop, and so 3x a different set-up. The first and third set-up were pretty static and heavy weight, the 2nd one was smaller (had 'junior' printed on the board) but really flexible and easy to handle, much easier then the other 2. Man...sorry...I'm boring you guys here, will cut to the chase.

I would really go further in this sport, have been looking to the indoor snow-and skicenters and found a few. But I also want to buy my own gear. And now comes the 'big' problem... I am kinda big :-)

I measure 5'4 and weigh 222 lbs, have a footsize of 9,5. But what makes the sport difficult for me, my measurements, I make up in agility and strength. I've tried all bootsystems and I think the Bowa or pull up work best. I'm a regular and would love a swift and flexible board, so I can handle it with ease, a freestyle board ofcourse. I've read about so many boards: the wellknown Burton and Bataleon, Roma, Flow, Imperium, Lib Tech, .... But what do you guys recommend? What would you advise for a big sized girl like me? Boards, boots and bindings?

Thanks so much in advance ;-)

Last edited by MaryR; 04-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.
MaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not a pro, but from my understanding the size of the board needs to be matched to your weight, so you should probably be looking at longer boards. Most online sizing calculators suggest 160+ for your weight, but for a beginner it may be a little harder to handle, perhaps something like 150 might work, and make sure to read up on the type of board you're getting so that it has more flex rather than less.

I'm the same height as you, but weigh less, and after a whole season of renting everything from 130 to 150 (the guys in the rental shops have some kind of randomized approach to selecting a board size for you ), I bought a board that is 139 in size - a little less than suggested for my height/weight, but it's a bit easier to handle this way.

As for boots, the lacing system is secondary to fit. You lace them up once, but you ride in them for a whole day afterwards. Pick a pair that is best for your feet, and only if two pairs fit you equally well should you compare other things like lacing systems.
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Mary,

Very stoked that you are having such a great time riding. It is the best and will only get better for you as you sort your gear out. Are you wearing 9.5 boots due to foot width?

If you wouldn't mind, please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote