Good Pow / Freeride / Carving board? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33AndAThird View Post
Thanks for the advice! I know the 172W is definitely too big for me, if only I knew it at the time, learning to board might have been less painful As you said I am looking for something in the 161-165W range depending on the board.
Based soley on your height, the 172 is actually about right. I'm 5'6" 175 lb and ride a 160 regularly. Anything shorter than that feels sketchy to me now. That said, based on your weight something in the 165-168 range seems a little better.

I don't know what board prices are like in Europe, but I got a Virus Avalanche FLP AFT from Germany and it was 1100 Euro incl VAT. I know that's spendy but I'm assuming you wouldn't have to pay the customs duty that I had to pay to get it into Canada.

It is a really solid freeride AND carving deck. But again, not cheap...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
That Raptor on sale sounds perfect for you, it really is a great board. Everyone that owns one loves it. After the Mega, the Raptor would be my choice. You are already a experienced rider, you will be able to grow into the Raptors full abilities . Good luck.
Quote:
When I was on the Raptor, I really could take it easy = ride straight over all the afternoon chopped up groomer with almost straight legs. The dampening of the board swallowed most of the unevenness. Never possible with the Flagship. It would buck you off. You can take it easy on the Flagship if you straight line or in pow
If I'd be into RC profiles (I'm not!), I would have got a small Raptor for me.
Well you've just about convinced me to pull the trigger on this 165W 2013 Raptor on sale. The only lingering doubt now is that I can also get a Nidecker Megalight Camrock 163W for only a little bit more.

I guess the question is then do I want a tapered board or a non-tapered board? I've never ridden a tapered board. I assume the Megalight would be better and surfier in pow, and the raptor the better carver and piste board? How much better / more fun are the tapered boards in pow?
33AndAThird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Im biased in my recommendation for the Megalight, I own the Ultralight which is exactly the same shape. As much as I'd like to say buy the Mega, I think 163 is too small for you. Im 6'2" and I ride the 167XL and I can put that board wherever I want. Though it is tapered, both Mega/Ultra dominate not only powder but groomers as well, it is a very versatile board. If you could score a 167 you would own one sick and very rare board. If you see one in person you will also see how beautifully made those boards are. Hope this helps.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I really like my Pick Your Line, but you need to be a darn good rider for it to perform to its maximum potential. Not quite there yet.
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

OK, you guys convinced me to pull the trigger on a board sight unseen. I figured the end of season sales plus the cost of going to Switzerland for a board demo weekend was enough of an incentive to just go for it now.

In the end I took into account your comments Mpjames09 that the 163XL Megalight might not be big enough for me, the fact that even though it had a bigger discount it was still more expensive, the fact that it was actually last seasons board (2012) rather than 2013, and the fact that I love the 2013 Raptor's graphics so much (normally I wouldn't let graphics affect my decision, but when all else is equal, why not), so I bought the 2013 Raptor at a big discount.

It'll be here in a few days and I'll let you know how it rides with my new Flux SF45s. Very excited!

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions all, really appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #26 (permalink)

Congrats, you now own a great do it all snowboard, you won't be disappointed. There's good reason why it's so popular. BTW graphics play a big part for me, my board has to look and ride bad ass. Happy riding
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Will you be able to still ride it this season? Very curious on your impressions!
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Congrats, you now own a great do it all snowboard, you won't be disappointed. There's good reason why it's so popular. BTW graphics play a big part for me, my board has to look and ride bad ass. Happy riding
Thanks mate!!

Quote:
Will you be able to still ride it this season? Very curious on your impressions!
I should be able to if it gets here in time, I'm in Val till the 26th, and it should arrive "early next week". which means I should get at least a couple of days (well morning runs up the Glacier before it all turns to slush!) on the board before I leave. I'll be sure to post my impressions once it gets here. Can't wait!

Tags
big guy, free ride, never summer, powder, yes snowboards