Help Choosing New Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help Choosing New Board

I started snowboarding halfway through January. I bought a K2 Brigade 2012 with Burton Outpost bindings and Burton Invader Boots before I even hit the slopes, my intention was that I couldn't stop no matter what, because I invested money in it. First day I promised myself I'd never come back, but then the fact that I bought the gear helped a lot, I just had to learn, and now I'm comfortable doing some easy carving, scoring a number of grabs and frontside & backside 180. The Brigade has been a great learning board, but I really want to learn to ride park now, and I don't feel it suits it as well. I think I've developed some sort of fetish for rails and fun boxes, and that's what I want to excel at, as well as spinning and inverting on jumps. I'm looking for a new board to suit those needs, I'm 186 cm (6'1") and I weigh 161 pounds. The board shouldn't be completely useless in pow either, but it will be like 10% pow and 90% shredding the park and buttering in the future. (; I've been looking at the Neversummer SL, Neversummer Evo, K2 Parkstar, Libtech Travis Rice Pro, and all three Libtech Bananas (Skate, Magic, Attack). Recommendations? And what size should I get to suit my needs?
Sagewornout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

As far as size goes I dont necessarily agree with the conventional sizing charts, especially for guys over 6 foot, the boards start to get pretty long and feel like you're turning a ship. And especially for the park, look to slightly smaller length than what would normally be recommended.

This is just my opinion, im sure you'll get some great feedback here. Good luck!

Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm recommended a 161 or 158 (My Brigade is 158), but I think I want to drop the length a bit, especially since park is what I'll be riding with it. And thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd say size wise you're looking at a 154-156 because of your weight. I weight 160 and ride a 152 for park but I am only 5'9. As far as the boards you listed I'd say you're top 3 in no particular order are the NS Evo, K2 Parkstar, and Lib Skate Banana. The SL is a great deck and can be used in the park but if you're focusing 90% of your riding on park and buttering the Evo should suit you much better. The Evo will ride fine in pow as well. The Travis Rice Pro is an all-mountain deck as well. It will do good in pow and off big jumps, but won't be as good as some of your other options for rails/boxes. Same with Lib's Bananas. The Skate banana is the one you want if you're focusing on rails/boxes/buttering with a small amount of pow riding. None of the boards you listed are going to be a noodly board aimed at ONLY riding rails and jibbing, but the Evo, Parkstar, and Skate Banana will probably be the most flexible out of the ones you listed.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thanks!(: But may I ask, what separates the Skate Banana from the other Bananas? It seems like it's leaning towards the Evo or the Skate for me, possibly the Parkstar but I'm currently favoring the two others I mentioned.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think the main difference is just the flex. There might be some other minor differences as well but the main thing is that the Skate Banana will feel noticeably softer than the Attack or Magic. I'd say the NS Evo will have the most durable build and does come with a 3 year warranty which I think is a pretty big deal. I wouldn't eliminate the Parkstar either though. The Parkstar has been my main park board and I liked it so much that I bought another one at the end of this year. It costs less than either of the other boards you listed and I think it's super fun for jibbing and buttering while still having enough support for big jumps and carving (I've never used it in pow before). Also keep in mind that all 3 of these boards will have a different profile, so that will depend on what feel you like more. The Parkstar is 80% flat, but rocker outside the bindings (or the last 10% on each end). The Evo is camber/rocker/camber. And I'm pretty sure the Skate Banana is complete rocker throughout the board.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
As far as size goes I dont necessarily agree with the conventional sizing charts, especially for guys over 6 foot, the boards start to get pretty long and feel like you're turning a ship. And especially for the park, look to slightly smaller length than what would normally be recommended.

This is just my opinion, im sure you'll get some great feedback here. Good luck!
i couldnt agree more with that statement. im 6'3 225 and i ride a 166. it feels like im piloting an aircraft carrier... not very nimble at all... ill be downsizing considerably to the 161-159 area. Sizing charts are not exactly what you should go by go demo a few boards and see how they feel.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Rookie for that reply, I'll consider the Parkstar again, after all, it's cheaper, which could present better value for money, especially if it lives up to the Evo and the Skate Banana. What are the current price tags on the Parkstar though?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie09 View Post
I think the main difference is just the flex. There might be some other minor differences as well but the main thing is that the Skate Banana will feel noticeably softer than the Attack or Magic.
No! The 3 Bananas are completely different boards - not only different flex, but also different camber profiles, different sidecuts, etc. Quite different boards for different purposes.
But Rookie is correct that the Skate Banana is the one the OP wants out of those 3.

Last edited by hktrdr; 04-10-2013 at 06:04 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

How does the DC Ply compare to these models by the way? And if anyone knows (which I doubt), how do all these models compare to the 2012 K2 Brigade that I currently have?

Tags
new board, new gear