re-molding boots? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
jon88

Default re-molding boots?

Hi there,
Anyone know if it's possible to re-heatmold boots?
I have a Pair of Salomon Synapse's that still have loads of life left in them, just rubbing a little in places, had an idea that maybe getting them re-molded if possible might be a lot cheaper than buying a new pair.

Thanks,
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can get them remolded but if I remember correctly thats not a liner that does much when heated up.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
ihop

I don't think redoing the heat molding will help. All the heat molding does is speed up the break-in time, and break-in is just the first part of packing out. Once they're packed out you can't really reset the foam. You can however use 3rd party foam to remold the parts of the boot that are getting loose. I've used close cell foam in all of my last several pairs of boots to extend their lives. Something like this is cheap, easy to shape, and won't absorb water if your boots start getting wet. Once my boots start feeling packed out, I cut some pretty rudimentary j-bars, and a couple shims about 1/4 inch thick. After I get the fit right, and figure out where I want them, I duct tape or glue them on the outside of the liner. I usually put a small shim right on the back of the heel behind my achilles tendon, and a larger thicker shim (about 2" x 4") on the shin right at the instep. If I get it right, the boots will feel better than new, and I can always add/shave more when that gets packed out.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

you can indeed remould to put new contours and dents in places that currently have none; but it won't take away the dents / compressions that already exist.

by and large tho, remoulding of even new booties is something of a sales gimmick so any difference enjoyed will be minimal. spend you time buying thicker socks!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ I would expect an answer from a dumb ass like you.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
^ I would expect an answer from a dumb ass like you.
damn u got at him bad
DJ FroZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ FroZone View Post
damn u got at him bad
what can i say...? he fears me.
little doggies always yap the loudest.

as if proof were needed, my post merely agreed with his, but with added info that mouldable liners are rarely very effective anyways.

some prefer to 'avenge' than help. its the 'cup half empty POV. such is life.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Twix

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post

as if proof were needed, my post merely agreed with his, but with added info that mouldable liners are rarely very effective anyways.

You guys are funny I always enjoy clever witticism
Old 10-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post

Actually the only thing you agreed with is that his specific boot shouldn't be remolded. That liner is crap and heating it up is only going to deteriorate it more and lessen its life.

What you stated that you think its a crock of shit that heat moldable liners work. If this was the case why do Vans, 32, Ride, K2 all offer heat moldable intuition liners. Why is it that 90% of ski boots are recommended to be heat molded? Why is it that a company like Intuition solely exists to make after market heat moldable liners. While you might not comprehend what is actually happening during this heating process it does not mean that it doesn't work or rarely works. I suggest you read your own signature and comprehend it.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

Mr Avenger. as is your standard, you presume much and know little. perhaps you should remain within your sphere of comfort and stick to telling 12 year old why you are so damned awesome?

i have looked into the technology of boot liners and foot beds etc because i have enjoyed both the benefits of a well fitting boot and the consequences of a painful one. from speaking to manufacurers such as Vans UK and techies in stores who heat mould day in day out, in several countries, and who are undoubtedly more experienced (and less vitriolic) than yourself, heat moulding can expedite the compression of the liners to a person's foot contours.

but as this process occurs anyway, it is a gimmick. and because the simple pressure applied by a person's mass is so much greater than the resistence offered by the material forming the liner, these contours of comfort are immediately made anyway. it is this exact same principle which sees you adviceon correct sizing due to 'packing out'.

believe your own sales pitch if you like, but my boots need heat treatng to allow me to ride, about as much as my buttocks need a padded seat before i can poop; and there are companys who solely exist to make after market bog seats too! do you now feel constipated?