Gnu Carbon Credit or Eco-Genetics? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gnu Carbon Credit or Eco-Genetics?

It's the final part of the snowboard sale and I'm picking up a new board.
Basically, I can get the Eco-Genetics board for a good price, or wait until next year and pay more for a Carbon Credit my size.

I've been riding snowboards for about 8 years, but I'm still a rookie when it comes to equipment, so I've got a few questions:

- With my 6 ft 3 in height and 170 pounds, is 159cm a good size for me with this board?

- Which board will be most suited for me? I'll be riding mostly prepped tracks and powder and doing a good deal of smaller jumps.

Any replies are much appreciated!
Liero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

What is your boot size? I would think that the width of the eco might be too narrow.

I am almost exactly the same size as you and I think I'd be pushing it with my size 12 boots (with minimized footprint).

Last edited by Conrad Hart; 04-10-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Conrad Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

My boot size is quite small for my height, at 10.5 - 11.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Eco Genetics looks more exciting. Havent ridden it but Gnu catalog says it has C2BTX profile. I have the Riders Choice with the same profile and it took my riding to a new level. IMHO, hybrid profiles are more dynamic and fun than the banana/true rocker like the Carbon Credit.

You may be different though. Boot hang wont be an issue at 10-11.
Fergatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergatron2000 View Post
Eco Genetics looks more exciting. Havent ridden it but Gnu catalog says it has C2BTX profile. I have the Riders Choice with the same profile and it took my riding to a new level. IMHO, hybrid profiles are more dynamic and fun than the banana/true rocker like the Carbon Credit.

You may be different though. Boot hang wont be an issue at 10-11.
That's an interesting experience, thanks for sharing.

Size-wise, any opinions on whether the 159 would be fitting my size and use? The dealer I spoke to says so, but I would love to get some unbiased opinions.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

159 is fine for your size, waist on the 159 eco is fine with your boots.

the eco (used to be altered) genetics has a bunch of mervin high tech goodies but still priced reasonably, where the carbon credit is a board built to meet a budget. the eco has c2 rocker which is more locked in, the carbon credit has btx which gives a looser feel.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liero View Post
That's an interesting experience, thanks for sharing.

Size-wise, any opinions on whether the 159 would be fitting my size and use? The dealer I spoke to says so, but I would love to get some unbiased opinions.
Are you going to stay at 170lb? If so 159 is a great size for progressing, powder and all mountain slaying. A bit long for jibbing and noodling around, but doable. If you get into charging those groomers at high speeds then you'll be rewarded with stability at 159.

IMO, rockered boards like the Carbon Credit ride shorter than the hybrids which have some trad camber properties like the Eco. I'm 5'10" 165lb and ride 158 for pow and big mountain days, 155 for slushy park days. I would not ride anything shorter than 155. too squirly at speed.
Fergatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Jealous. I want a '12-'13 Eco Genetics real bad. Cool board and one of the raddest top sheets I've ever seen on a snowboard. I'm the same height but a bit more weight at 215~ and a size 13 boot, but even with shrinkage tech on my boots I don't think I could rock the 162

I have a '11-'12 CC in 162w and it's a fun ride but my Lib Banana Magic blows it away so I never bother with it. I think the CC is gonna be my beater/jib board since it's the cheapest of my 3 and the softest. Despite everyone saying they sized down from what they normally ride when they bought their Magic, I wish I'd got mine in 162w instead of 158w though.

I ride similar terrain to you it seems. I ride duck at like 9 or 12 in either direction and I only really get toe/heel drag when traversing across steeps and the like so you should be okay. The size difference between the Eco and my CC is like 1 cm or something at the feet so it's nbd...

Tempted to pick one up this spring anyway just cuz I want one so much... wanna buy a Lib waterboard and a Skunk Apes 170 ultrawide next season though so can't get too freewheeling!
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Take back what I said in this thread. Bought the Eco Genetics last night and I love it. Tons of pop! It's the best of camber and rocker for sure. Likes to be ridden hard

Not sure of the waist widths for the 159. I'm riding mine on the outer inserts on the board and it feels just about right.
I may play around and move one or both feet back and narrow it slightly. I would consider the extra length, but it might not be a make or break since I've got a few pounds over the OP.
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks a bunch for very helpful replies!
I eventually ended up buying the Eco Genetics 159 after your advice and other positive feedback on the board.
Snow's gone so I haven't ridden it yet, but I can say that the amount of overhang my shoe size creates is about perfect, no need for a wider board.

Thanks again for your help on this, I got the last push I needed to upgrade my gear : )