Skate Banana? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Lib Tech?

So, I dont want to hijack that other thread, soooo

Just looking for opinions of people who ride Attack Bananas/T.Rices/Gnu. I havent ever ridden (other than a few runs) CRC OR Magnetraction before. I would call myself an advanced/expert rider (steeps, airs, and tight trees are what I seek out)

Would either of these be a good everyday board? Im looking to take a bit more of a freestyle approach to the mountain next year and integrate some of the jib/jump/park stuff into my big mountain riding.

Currently ride RCR on Yes Big City. In the park I ride a cambered Yes Handsign or Rome Garage Rocker.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Banjo; 04-11-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have ridden magnatraction once and let me tell you it blew my mind. I liked how I had so much grip and control on sketchy surfaces that I instantly said to myself my next board has to have magnetraction. (As you can see in my other thread I am deciding between a park pickle and a skate banana)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post

Just looking for opinions of people who ride Attack Bananas/T.Rices/Gnu. I havent ever ridden (other than a few runs) CRC OR Magnetraction before. I would call myself an advanced/expert rider (steeps, airs, and tight trees are what I seek out)
thread title says skatabanana, gnu is a company they make lots of boards?

i like the looser feeling of btx over c2, havent been on ec2 supposed to be between. the 159 skatebanana is stiffer and works everywhere but is a loose board. trs and riders choice are good picks for all around decks
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

magnatraction is quality, if Mervin boards didn't suffer cosmetic damage quite so easily I'd probably never had bothered with any other boards. Bit more hassle to look after them edges though!

The attack banana had mellow magnatraction so was less appealing when I was looking for my do-everything board, not sure if that's changed this year? I think the roxy EC2 board went full magnatraction this year.

Any chance of you getting to test ride the Riders Choice?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I ride a GNU metal guru. This was my first deck after riding a season on my friends old K2. I really like it and the magnatraction is the best on the Ice Coast. It can be a little rough on hard pack groomers but I like it. The profile to it makes it playful but you can still haul ass when you point it. I really like the deck, good flex, good edge hold, great at speed and pressing.
jimb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=walove;908410]thread title says skatabanana, gnu is a company they make lots of boards?

I should have made the title "Mervin Boards" but it was late and i was drinking

All seriousness though...I wont be test driving as the season is over...unless someone meets me at Sunshine or Louise for a switch!

If these boards damage easily, but it is simply cosmetic, i can deal with that.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Talking Attack Banana!

I don't have too much to compare it too (had a K2 and a burton nug), but I have loved my attack banana from day one. I started riding on the east coast where it ate up the ice and laughed. I have since been riding in japan and new zealand. It has a bit tougher time floating in the powder of northern japan, but I'll take the extra effort in exchange knowing that I can jump back into the ice of the east coast US or NZ with no worries. I didn't really like the graphics from this year or the last, so I was happy I got this board when it first came out. If that doesnt factor into your decision making then you will be happy with this board for sure.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Banjo;908714]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
thread title says skatabanana, gnu is a company they make lots of boards?

I should have made the title "Mervin Boards" but it was late and i was drinking

All seriousness though...I wont be test driving as the season is over...unless someone meets me at Sunshine or Louise for a switch!

If these boards damage easily, but it is simply cosmetic, i can deal with that.
people complain about nicks in the top sheet. i've got a couple, if you keep an eye on it and trim/file them off it will keep them from growing. not a big deal at all to me. I appreciate mervin experimenting with new eco materials, i have to put a with a nick then whatever.

I had to warranty a mervin board a couple years ago and had a great experience, they were quick and let me trade a new two year old park pickle for a skatebanana and sent me next years board in december.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

What are you wanting to know?
SinkHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Huge Mervin fan here.

Just spent all night talking to dudes in shops about Mervin boards. Ended up walking out with my fourth Mervin and third Gnu - this season's Eco Genetics. Planning on buying a Lib surfboard this spring too!

MTX gets great reviews from everyone. It's there when you want it and unnoticeable when you don't need it. Some of the boards literature will say if they have real mellow MTX or not, but you'll have to look at a few boards and visually compare to get an idea.

My boards are one in regular camber, and two different standard rocker blends. I haven't ridden the Eco yet so I can't comment on their hybrid profiles. I find their blends to be great though. Each specific board has its quirks but both of the bananas feel fun and confidence inspiring in a variety of applications.

Truly if you want a good freestyle stick that won't be real limiting a Skate Banana is a great choice and a hard one to go wrong with. It's easily one of the most popular freestyle boards for a reason. There's plenty of other Mervin boards you might like so feel free to elaborate so we can help narrow it down!
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote