Bored with my board - opinions wanted - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
No, I have not. But... I did take a couple spins on variable terrain and conditions on a premier , which was too soft me as it was setup.

Pretty sure SL is not as stiff/free ride/style as the premiere. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
i just checked out the newer NS lineup, and seems like an SL is def too soft for what you're looking for. The model I have is a 2007, full cambered deck, and it's pretty stiff for me, perhaps they toned it down in the newer decks. sorry bout that!
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_darsh View Post
i just checked out the newer NS lineup, and seems like an SL is def too soft for what you're looking for. The model I have is a 2007, full cambered deck, and it's pretty stiff for me, perhaps they toned it down in the newer decks. sorry bout that!
No worries. Appreciate the suggestion anyways.
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
KTR=Kessler the Ride
I couldn't find much info on that board. Seems like its a cambered carving deck, and its a directional too.

I tried the BSOD and I didn't like it in the end. It was camber with slight rocker.

After reading tons on the travis rice board, and then reading some more, I ordered the t rice hp in a 161.5.

I'm thinking I might not even need a softer board to play around and learn freestyle on. Sounds like it can all be done on the t rice board.

Whisky militia has the 157 pro for 299.00, and I might pick that up for a play around learner board since its shorter.

Any more input is welcome. I can always send this back......

Last edited by pdxrealtor; 04-15-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you want something with quadaxial fibreglass instead of triaxial
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I couldn't find much info on that board. Seems like its a cambered carving deck, and its a directional too.

I tried the BSOD and I didn't like it in the end. It was camber with slight rocker.

After reading tons on the travis rice board, and then reading some more, I ordered the t rice hp in a 161.5.

I'm thinking I might not even need a softer board to play around and learn freestyle on. Sounds like it can all be done on the t rice board.

Whisky militia has the 157 pro for 299.00, and I might pick that up for a play around learner board since its shorter.

Let me know what you think of the t.rice hp, ive been looking to pick one up myself.
tj_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Good call on the HP. I feel like I contributed to someone's well being. Even if it wasn't my suggestion that made any difference.

TRice's are great for freestyle man, that I can vouch for. Nice and poppy too. For what you indicated you want in a board, I think you are going to love it.

If you are going to pick up another board for messing around on, don't bother getting another TRice Pro. The difference between the too, even given length, won't be enough to justify a purchase.

If you must, get something more noodley for contrast.
bamfb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Sounds like you want something with quadaxial fibreglass instead of triaxial
Can you elaborate? I'm not familiar with how that relates to a snowboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_ras View Post
Let me know what you think of the t.rice hp, ive been looking to pick one up myself.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfb2 View Post
Good call on the HP. I feel like I contributed to someone's well being. Even if it wasn't my suggestion that made any difference.

TRice's are great for freestyle man, that I can vouch for. Nice and poppy too. For what you indicated you want in a board, I think you are going to love it.

If you are going to pick up another board for messing around on, don't bother getting another TRice Pro. The difference between the too, even given length, won't be enough to justify a purchase.

If you must, get something more noodley for contrast.
That was the original plan. Two twins, one noodle, one that would support free ride. But I've read so much about the Rice being a do it all true twin I don't know if I'll need another board.

I'm fine taking the short noodle up on day 3 or 4 when I'll be hanging with the wife or just taking it easy by myslef, or on shitty snow days where I have no desire to haul ass.

It's the days that I ride most often that I want nothing to do with the noodle board but want to be able to, at my desire, do the butters, spins, jumps, etc while hitting the entire mountain from steep to trees and all natural features. If I can this on the T. Rice I'd have no need for a noodle board, except maybe for the purpose of learning.

I'm torn between the 157 and 161.5. I'm at the high end of my weight right now, 210lbs, but will be starting a descent to the 195 mark shortly. This is without any gear.

I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I'm worried about the 161.5 being too long for the freestyle I want to learn and I'm worried the 157 would be too short for the powder/bomber days.

What do you all recommend?

I could order the 157 HP and send back whatever one I like least. The 157 has the same contact length, per spec, that my Billy Goat has. My Billy Goat is a 162.

Last edited by pdxrealtor; 04-15-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm fine taking the short noodle up on day 3 or 4 when I'll be hanging with the wife or just taking it easy by myslef, or on shitty snow days where I have no desire to haul ass.
You know what would be the go would be to get a second hand Skate Banana at a shop. They often use them as demos/rentals and you can pick up a beater at the end of season for nothing. PERFECT for dicking around on.

Quote:

It's the days that I ride most often that I want nothing to do with the noodle board but want to be able to, at my desire, do the butters, spins, jumps, etc while hitting the entire mountain from steep to trees and all natural features.
If I can this on the T. Rice I'd have no need for a noodle board, except maybe for the purpose of learning.
You can do all this with the TRice, but the butters won't be all that fun. Possible but not glorious.

Quote:

I'm torn between the 157 and 161.5. I'm at the high end of my weight right now, 210lbs, but will be starting a descent to the 195 mark shortly. This is without any gear.

I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I'm worried about the 161.5 being too long for the freestyle I want to learn and I'm worried the 157 would be too short for the powder/bomber days.

What do you all recommend?

I could order the 157 HP and send back whatever one I like least. The 157 has the same contact length, per spec, that my Billy Goat has. My Billy Goat is a 162.
I would get the 157 for a couple of reasons. One, it'll be tighter in the trees. Two, they ride a little longer than the given length. And 162 is a lot of board, given the width of the TRice. With that width, I don't think you'll want the longer board. Plus you have the BG.

And lastly, it'll motivate you to lose some weight you fat bastard!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfb2 View Post
You know what would be the go would be to get a second hand Skate Banana at a shop. They often use them as demos/rentals and you can pick up a beater at the end of season for nothing. PERFECT for dicking around on.

You can do all this with the TRice, but the butters won't be all that fun. Possible but not glorious.

I would get the 157 for a couple of reasons. One, it'll be tighter in the trees. Two, they ride a little longer than the given length. And 162 is a lot of board, given the width of the TRice. With that width, I don't think you'll want the longer board. Plus you have the BG.

And lastly, it'll motivate you to lose some weight you fat bastard!
I'm a stout 210. I lift weights 5 days / week. BF is only a bit higher as I'm just finishing up a bulk phase. I diet down when snowboard season is over, and bulk during the season.

I'll check the local hill for a skate banna, and CL. Whiskey Militia has them for 269.00 right now also.

Well damn..... I got two choices. I could ask my buddy to ride his 156 billy goat, and that would give me a good idea since I have the 162. But I think even better would be to order the 157 T. Rice HP and try them both.

I can test the trees and some steep stuff both soft, hard. and mogul fields. But I don't think we're getting any significant powder again this year.

The return process is lifetime so I could wait until next year and still return. But I'd be out 420.00 for a summer.... hmmmm... thinking out loud here.

One thing I'm thinking is that my Union chargers will help with response. When I put those guys on my BG I had to widen the stance 3/8th of an inch, and could go more, because the Chargers are so damn responsive.

Decisions decisions....
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

Well damn..... I got two choices. I could ask my buddy to ride his 156 billy goat, and that would give me a good idea since I have the 162. But I think even better would be to order the 157 T. Rice HP and try them both.

Honestly not sure how good of a comparison that will be. I think that a 157 TRice HP will noticeably ride longer than a 156 BG. It is both stiffer AND wider.

Will be better in powder too.