Suggestions for a longer snowboard - Either women's or men's - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

female Suggestions for a longer snowboard - Either women's or men's

Hey guys,

I'm 5'5 and 140lb. I just bought the 146 Jones Twin Sister snowboard to learn tricks and to use in the park. I'm planning to get the Now bindings next season(haven't decided which one yet). Do I need to get two bindings for two snowboards or can I just use one binding and keep switching them? I'm a student so I don't want to spend too much money on gear...

I'm not an expert or anything but eventually I want to go through trees and natural jumps. So I'm looking to get a longer snowboard for backcountry and powder days for next season (I think I need a longer board for that, right?). I don't really know what I'm looking for and what options I have. I heard the Jones Flagship/Mothership is a good snowboard but it's not good riding switch. Is that a problem? I also saw that Lib-tech makes good snowboards but there are so many to choose from, I don't really know the difference. And what about Yes snowboards, I heard good things about them.

Can anyone please give me feedback on the Jones Flagship/Mothership, Lib-tech and Yes snowboards? Can you also suggest some other good snowboards for what I'm looking for? I'd be willing to get a men's snowboard. Probably around size 153, is that a good size for me?

Thanks in advance.
rideordiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

It depends if you want your new board to be the second option, specialized for pow days or if you want to replace the twin sister and get one all mountain board.

If it's going to be you pow stick, the 156 Mothership will shine. I'm riding the 158 Flagship and the float of this board is awsome, same is true for response and stability. The slightly smaller Mothership will still float very good with the advantage of being narrower and a bit softer. I completely fell in love with the Flagship but I'm very sure, the Mothership would have even matched better for me. Only got the Flagship cause I dont like to buy a board I haven't riden and I only could demo the Flagship... you'll find all the stats and some impressions here http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...good-idea.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordiechick View Post
I heard the Jones Flagship/Mothership is a good snowboard but it's not good riding switch. Is that a problem?
Uhm... I'm not able to connect 3 turns in a row riding switch no matter on which board never learned it, never used it, no problem so far IF you can ride switch it can be an advantage if you have to travers long stretches. Hubby rides the Flagship switch without problems even with +/+ angles. It's possible.

If its going to be your all mountain board that also has to handle moguls and crud, I can recommend the 153 Ride Farah. Bit less stable and bit less float (the rocker in the nose is less prominent) but very easy to handle in all types of conditions.

The same goes for the bindings. If you oftenly change the board, get a second pair of bindings. To change bindings - say every day, or even only every weekend - sucks and ruins the screws. Look for last years sales. Those bindings are as good as the full prize recent ones. I got two pairs of the last years Ride Fame bindings for half the prize with the advantage of a more decent colour (black) than the (sorry) ugly purple 12/13 ones
I can recommend the 11/12 Ride Fame as a very good freeride binding. Very comfortable, good and easy adjustment options and very responsive.

Good luck!
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Uhm... I think I remember your user name.. didnt you mention only some days ago that you're "fairly new"? In what? Snowboarding or this forum? If the first, I take my ^^^ post back and wait for more detailed information about your experience...
Your mention of "I'm not an expert or anything" made me conclude that you've got some decent experience and my reply is based on that assumption
Old 04-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

twin sister looks like a great park board, but also seems like it's a good size for you to mess with all mountain as well. if the board doesn't seem too soft and unstable for you cruising around the rest of the mountain, i'd ride it another season and dial in exactly what type of ride and board you want... your board has a good geometry for all mountain, and the camber/rocker profile and the setback stance should let you float nicely in powder as long as you keep your speed up!

it'll save you some money in the mean time, and again in the future (in case you don't like the new board) if you're not sure exactly what you're looking for at this time.
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

if you're absolutely set on a new board, i'd suggest this one for what you mentioned... I love TBT

Bataleon
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Uhm... I think I remember your user name.. didnt you mention only some days ago that you're "fairly new"? In what? Snowboarding or this forum? If the first, I take my ^^^ post back and wait for more detailed information about your experience...
Your mention of "I'm not an expert or anything" made me conclude that you've got some decent experience and my reply is based on that assumption

This is my first season snowboarding. I was planning for this snowboard to be my second board for pow days because my Twin Sister is small. I'm just seeing what snowboard I should eventually get. If I find it on sale then I'll get it sooner than later.

I heard good things about the Farah too. I'll look into that snowboard. Have you ever tried the Billy Goat? I heard that's a good board for backcountry but the smallest size is 156. Might be a little too big. I saw in another post you mentioned Volkl snowboards. What do you think of those snowboards?? They look like they're pretty good quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_darsh View Post
twin sister looks like a great park board, but also seems like it's a good size for you to mess with all mountain as well. if the board doesn't seem too soft and unstable for you cruising around the rest of the mountain, i'd ride it another season and dial in exactly what type of ride and board you want... your board has a good geometry for all mountain, and the camber/rocker profile and the setback stance should let you float nicely in powder as long as you keep your speed up!

it'll save you some money in the mean time, and again in the future (in case you don't like the new board) if you're not sure exactly what you're looking for at this time.

I just bought the Twin Sister and I've been busy so I haven't had the chance to ride it yet. Hopefully I'll get to ride it at least once this season. I just assumed because it is a small board that I should get another one. I just wanted to see what options I have in case I see a wicked deal on a new board. But you might be right, maybe I should just ride this one next season and buy another one when I've progressed more and know exactly what I want. Thanks!
The Violenza looks like a sick board! I'm going to add that on to my list of potential new snowboards.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

No, although I was looking for it, I never happened to demo the BG. Also from Volkl I only know the Coal.

Hmmm... I'd also say you should give your twin sister a try in pow before thinking of buying another one. You still can get good offers on last years boards next season BTW: if it was one of my posts that made you think your board is too small for pow: the "small" board I mentioned to have a bad float was a traditional camber. Your board has a different shape, it will have a better float. Its rocker nose will help for a nice float. It will also help if you set back your bindings 1 or 2 inserts for pow days and only ride forward the first times (more weight on hind part of the board improves float). Its fun to buy boards, I'd have another 5 candidates I'd like to have but I think it's better if you save your money till you know better what you like. Try to find out if you like the profile. Maybe you can also demo a RC profile and find out if you like this one.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
No, although I was looking for it, I never happened to demo the BG. Also from Volkl I only know the Coal.

Hmmm... I'd also say you should give your twin sister a try in pow before thinking of buying another one. You still can get good offers on last years boards next season BTW: if it was one of my posts that made you think your board is too small for pow: the "small" board I mentioned to have a bad float was a traditional camber. Your board has a different shape, it will have a better float. Its rocker nose will help for a nice float. It will also help if you set back your bindings 1 or 2 inserts for pow days and only ride forward the first times (more weight on hind part of the board improves float). Its fun to buy boards, I'd have another 5 candidates I'd like to have but I think it's better if you save your money till you know better what you like. Try to find out if you like the profile. Maybe you can also demo a RC profile and find out if you like this one.
Now I kind of wish I got he 149 instead so it would be more versatile. My friend said she finds it hard to ride her 146 board on pow days.

So are you saying on pow days I should set back my bindings on the back one and not the front? Is that how I put more weight on the hind part? Just curious what is your stance?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

What shape does she ride? It's not only the length that counts...
Try your normal stances first. But if you have to lean back a lot to get proper float, shift both bindings one insert back and look how this works. Yes, by shifting the bindings further back wou put more weight on the hind part allowing the nose for a better float. If you have to lean back too much, this will block your balance. Also don't ride too slow. The faster you go, the better the float.

On the Flagship I ride with middle positions (inserts and baseplates). This board floats marvelously anyway so no further set back needed. On the smaller Farah with less rocker nose I have both bindings one insert further back than the middle and screws in most hind position in baseplates (this adds around 0.5 insert shift). And I shift my weight additionally slightly to the hind leg. Played around a lot with the angles this season. Around +21 and +30 front, 0 and +15 hind works fine for me, but thats very individually.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

My friend rides a NS board, rocker and camber and we have similar stats too.

Thanks for all the tips. You have been very helpful. I guess I'll play around with my stances next season to see which suits me the best.