Mervyn twin boards in Pow? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
Did you read this thread?
Yah. I started this thread.
It's about Mervyn twin boards in pow.
The comments indicate that a dedicated pow board is a good idea, which none of the Mervyn boards listed are.

Therefore I asked for suggestions for DEDICATED POW boards that ride switch well.

There were no comments that the Charlie Slasher rode well switch in pow, just that it rode pow well. If it does, I'd appreciate an indication to that effect.

BTW, your first post is rather cryptic. You make reference to the Skate Banana, Snow Mullet, and Charlie Slasher. What is an "an" and a "miller"?

Last edited by GreyDragon; 04-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Resident poet

forget the Charlie for switch

gnu rider choice, longer wider...abit oversized for pow, stiffer than a banana and c2btx/asym/reg-mag
Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
Did you read this thread?
I believe I understand your comment now.
I didn't realize that the Dirty Pillow was a pow board.

Apologies.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wait for the 2014 Speedodeeps or the banana hamock.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the charlie sucks for switch but i dont ride switch in pow.

Looks like the dirty pillow would be your best bet on a budget, you can get them for pretty cheap now. 300 on backcountry
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
agreed

me

I'm sorry but did you just closeline yourself @ 2:36 when ducking a rope? if so hahahahaha.

looks like a sweet pow day though
Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
I'm sorry but did you just closeline yourself @ 2:36 when ducking a rope? if so hahahahaha.

looks like a sweet pow day though
I thought I was seeing things

I've heard the GNU billy goat performs really well powder and and is decent at switch.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
Yah. I started this thread.
It's about Mervyn twin boards in pow.
The comments indicate that a dedicated pow board is a good idea, which none of the Mervyn boards listed are.

Therefore I asked for suggestions for DEDICATED POW boards that ride switch well.

There were no comments that the Charlie Slasher rode well switch in pow, just that it rode pow well. If it does, I'd appreciate an indication to that effect.

BTW, your first post is rather cryptic. You make reference to the Skate Banana, Snow Mullet, and Charlie Slasher. What is an "an" and a "miller"?
You need to be more clear what you mean by 'ride switch' - do you mean in pow or on groomers, etc.

If you mean in pow, then there is not going to be many. The things that make most pow boards float (long nose rocker/short tail kicker, taper, setback, pin/swallowtail, etc.) make them less twin and work against you when riding switch in pow. Your best bet is a full rocker twin - from Mervin basically the Dirty Pillow or the Skate Banana. Also look at the Sick Stick/Powder Snake - has some taper but otherwise quite a twin-ish powder deck.

If you mean pow-sticks that ride switch well on groomers, than you have many choices. Charlie, Sick Stick, etc. will all be fine. More twin in nature helps of course, but on groomers it really is 95% skill/technique. Just look at the video of Stephan taking the Fish through the park...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
You need to be more clear what you mean by 'ride switch' - do you mean in pow or on groomers, etc.

If you mean in pow, then there is not going to be many. The things that make most pow boards float (long nose rocker/short tail kicker, taper, setback, pin/swallowtail, etc.) make them less twin and work against you when riding switch in pow. Your best bet is a full rocker twin - from Mervin basically the Dirty Pillow or the Skate Banana. Also look at the Sick Stick/Powder Snake - has some taper but otherwise quite a twin-ish powder deck.

If you mean pow-sticks that ride switch well on groomers, than you have many choices. Charlie, Sick Stick, etc. will all be fine. More twin in nature helps of course, but on groomers it really is 95% skill/technique. Just look at the video of Stephan taking the Fish through the park...
Mu and his fish - that vid is insane. really shines a light on the "99% rider, 1% board" thing.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I recently got a GNU Danny Kass C2BTX....set it up twin and rode it in some deep but crusty-topped pow on Thursday. Switch was no big deal, and I found it surprisingly good in pow...as good as my Yes Big City which is a directional twin(more rocker int he nose) with a set back. I actually felt like i didnt have to lean back as much in deep stuff compared to other shapes.

The C2BTX was really awesome switch in pow...I would say go with that profile for a twin mervin board. Sucked on hard-pack flats though...maybe just take some getting used to having that beach ball underfoot instead of camber
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote