At what point in my skill progression should I buy a park board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default At what point in my skill progression should I buy a park board?

I currently have a NS SL and have no complaints. Even though I kinda wish Id bought a Proto, the SL seems fine for me even in the park. Currently I am only doing 50/50s and BS boardslides on boxes (and ride-on flat rails), big straight airs with grabs on small-medium kickers, and tail butters. The SL handles this kiddie stuff just fine, but at what point in my progression should I consider a more park based board? I imagine at some point having a park board will allow me to progress a bit faster and safer, no?
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would say, keep doing what you need to do. Progress first, then figure out which board. What if you find that you don't like rails and boxes but like big jumps, or vice versa. You love butters but don't want to do jumps bigger than 10-20 feet.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

^ yep

i know a couple dudes who ride SLs who can absolutely destroy the park. then they take it all mountain and rip trees and steeps. i think you are set for now
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

A good rider can ride anything and kill it. But in my case, butters and spins really came into their own after I got my first non-camber board (K2 Parkstar). If money permits, I wouldn't want to risk having your progression slowed by your equipment!
tokyo_dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

i don't think it's a benchmark somewhere in you progression...on the contrary, if you've got the right board for the discipline you are most into, then it will just help progrerss. if you want a park board, and you have the dough, get a park board...not like it won't work outside the park, not as well maybe, but...keep the SL too, if you can afford to
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
It's the Indian not the arrow! The SL is a great do everything board. It's got just right amount of pop and flex to play well in the park and just the right amount of edge hold and stiffness to free ride well. It rides switch extremely well and its a board you already have dialed in well.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you must have a park board to progress in the park or a true twin to ride switch well. Many people start out learning on a park board in fact. Reason being is that the softer flex and gentle sidecut is easier to control than aggressive free ride decks. The biggest exception to this of course is for pure jibbing. A soft park board allows a rider to lock on and feel the feature better and it allows for easier presses and butters on the feature without huge weight shifts.
That. Listen to the man.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote