Need advice. Yes The Greats, or Neversummer Cobra? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need advice. Yes The Greats, or Neversummer Cobra?

Demo'd a lot of boards today and bindings. My favorite seemed to be the Cobra and The Greats from Yes.

Looking for more play than my current Arbor Blacklist in terms of presses/butter, especially regarding the weight of the board, and still have the ability to pop jumps in the park for 3's and do the same for backcountry jumps in the pow.

Which would you pick?

Edit:: Might as well add the Proto to this list as it was pretty great, it felt a lot like my Blacklist just a bit more soft and stable (I guess softer + RC tech?)

Last edited by dfischer; 04-21-2013 at 11:57 PM.
dfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Neither. I have a Yes The Greats 154 and it's way burlier than my Westmark 150. It's an awesome board for charging bigger features in the park; I'd call it one of the better slopestyle boards for advanced/expert freestyle guys. I have yet to even approach the limits of what it can do.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
Neither. I have a Yes The Greats 154 and it's way burlier than my Westmark 150. It's an awesome board for charging bigger features in the park; I'd call it one of the better slopestyle boards for advanced/expert freestyle guys. I have yet to even approach the limits of what it can do.
What would you suggest then?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

In terms of NS, I'd go Evo based on what you've said.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

I need a wide so would a Revolver still do?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a Legends 158 with a downsized 11 boot and lgxl Cartels: Real nice 'all mt freestyle' ride. I've also found it to be really fast for its length. I really like the board, seems to be put together well too.
rambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

You want a board more playful than the Blacklist but also capable of charging back country features? That's going to be hard to find as the Blacklist/Westmark is one of the most versatile boards out there. I found my Westmark to be more than playful enough to do most things.

The Evo might work but only if you are a lighter rider.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfischer View Post
Demo'd a lot of boards today and bindings. My favorite seemed to be the Cobra and The Greats from Yes.

Looking for more play than my current Arbor Blacklist in terms of presses/butter, especially regarding the weight of the board, and still have the ability to pop jumps in the park for 3's and do the same for backcountry jumps in the pow.

Which would you pick?

Edit:: Might as well add the Proto to this list as it was pretty great, it felt a lot like my Blacklist just a bit more soft and stable (I guess softer + RC tech?)
This post is a little confusing. You have the blacklist, and rode both the cobra and the greats so you know what each can do. I had a westmark and now a cobra. and the cobra is is not more pressable/butterable than the westmark by a long shot. You can do it, but that's not what its for. You need to decide. Press/Butter, or big features?

I did find the Westmark to be about the same but a little more stiff than the Evo for presses. But the Evo isn't charging hard.

Perhaps a Coda? But you already have an Arbor so perhaps you are looking for a change.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think I need a wide board because on my Blacklist I already have some minor issues with boot length (size 12). I don't think there's a more buttery board on the Arbor lineup.

I like the Blacklist but I found the dampening to be pretty crap when the snow is crap.

I guess you can't really have it all.

What I want more than anything is just a great all around board that is easy to butter/press with. If such a thing exists, more buttery + small jumps + powder (doesn't have to be fast). Don't care so much for rails, speed, or massive jumps. Had to be mid-wide or wide.

(Evo -> Revolver, was decent. Not sure how it holds up in Powder though? Made me think of the Proto but then the Proto is very similar to my Blacklist...)

Last edited by dfischer; 04-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What's the wide of the Evo. Revo? See if you can give that a try. Small jumps should be fine. (I don't do small jumps I do micro jumps ... making my way up )

The Evo actually isn't a noodle it's a good mid flex. I didn't have mine long enough (gear whore) but I do regret not keeping it, hearing Cheese in another threat talk about how it breaks in at the tips. I found the tips stiffer at first and was bending the board in the middle.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote