Does fresh wax dry up with no use? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does fresh wax dry up with no use?

Hey guys does fresh wax dry up overtime? Thinking of getting my board waxed when I need to visit a board shop anyway, but the snow season here in Australia starts in 6-8 weeks, should I wait closer to the season or won't it make a difference??
johnnyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

no, it shouldn't.

Wax blocks stay on store/inventory shelves for much longer than that and it doesn't "dry out".

Proper hot waxing doesn't miraculously "hydrate" it.
tanscrazydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd think 6-8 weeks shouldn't be too bad? But I'll mention that the base does appear to "dry" over extended periods of time.

Several years ago when I decided to get back into snowboarding I had my first board tuned at a shop. Didn't get out that season but when I looked at it the following season it appeared dry.

Just pulled it out now and it is completely dry. It's been stored in a room or closet in indoor temps and relative humidity levels. Haven't ridden it since getting new boards.

Pretty sure it's a sintered base.

Looking at it now it needs some love. I think I'll summer wax it and take it out next season.
EatRideSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

just dont scrape it. the longer it sits the better it soaks! scrape it when your ready to ride. a scraper is like 5-10 bucks and a brillow pad is like a dollar
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

is 8 weeks just when the resorts open?...or will you be actually riding some undetermined time after that? I, personally, wouldn't wax over 3 weeks before I knew my board was actually going to be on snow

you obviously know wax does dry out. 2 months is probably long enough for that thin a layer of wax to start drying out, to a certain extent. Is it really going to matter as far as feeling a performance drop?...probably not

Last edited by extra0; 04-24-2013 at 01:09 PM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdod View Post
just dont scrape it. the longer it sits the better it soaks! scrape it when your ready to ride. a scraper is like 5-10 bucks and a brillow pad is like a dollar
once the wax is done being heated up i dont think it continues to penetrate the base. the main reason you wait before you scrape is so you dont pull all of the wax you just put in there back out while it's hot, which is why people hot scrape to clean the base.

to the OP you are better off getting your own tuning kit, learning to use it, and just putting a layer of wax on yourself but don't scrape it until you are ready to ride. taking it to a shop to get it waxed adds up over time and it's something that can easily be done yourself with the right tools.