little reassurance on mid wide - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think youll be fine on that set up for what you want to do. Your right in the weight range, and the board will be nice and responsive at that shorter height for what you want to do. You should be fine on the mid-wide but in the future if i were you i'd stick with the regulars... theyre usually cheaper and theres more options out there. Me unfortunately i am a slave to wide boards because of my size 13 battleships...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Not really sure what's confusing, especially given your own experience seems to square with the what others have said. Regardless there will be variance between different boards due to other factors you're picking up on like torsional flex, sidecut, etc., but as a general rule it is safe to assume that any "wide" model snowboard will be slightly slower edge/edge, more sluggish, than its normal width counterpart.
Thanks for the info, so the general rule is the wide version of the same board will be slower edge to edge? are we talking significantly slower in general? Or slower for someone with smaller feet? Or something only a 100 day a year rider will only notice?

I'm on the borderline of wide with my 12's so stuff like this is good to know for future purchases. Last year I bought a smaller 154w Operator that with my riding angles I could have probably gotten away with a regular. Unfortunately edge response never crossed my mind, my thoughts where "more riding surface" for the smaller board will be better for my almost 90kg

From my experience I was under the impression tortional (is that even a word?) flex had more influence over edge response and going wider 4mm to 6mm would hardly make a difference unless boards got dramatically stiffer as they got wider.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by ItchEtrigR; 04-26-2013 at 03:16 AM.
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
board size, custom flying v, mid wide, wide