Gearing up for aspen - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
whitemischief

Default Gearing up for aspen

Hey guys

I am heading to aspen and would like to know what gera to go for. I am 6" 190pounds and 24 years old. I like mountain riding on groomed slopes and also hitting the powder at times. I have boarded a few times in europe but never aspen. I was thinking about getting the never summer Legacy R board, but dont know much about them. Can anyone help me with what size board ( length and width) to get, My boots are a size 10.5. I dont know much about which boards are for riding where or what to look for when buying. I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer. Mainly looking for a good board and decent bindings. I have no clue on what to look for with bindings either. Also, do you think I need a wide board?? Thanks anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm only a n00b here, with no cred, but let's see how close I get with some of the options/answers, just for shits and giggles, based on asking the same questions a while ago and then reading the shit out of these forums:

You're a fair way short of needing a wide board.

I'm guessing around a 160-162 length would be about the right size for your weight, and what you want to do, but it's not necessarily cast in stone. Maybe a bit longer if you intend to spend a fair amount of time in pow.

I believe NS Legacy-R is a wide board. There will no doubt be other suggestions so take the time to look at the options. I believe NS does produce a quality product, if expensive, but some people rave about them. In the end it will come down to personal preference to a certain extent, but you don't need a wide board. One alternative would be the Rome Anthem.

I believe the Rome 390's (M/XL) are a good binding, as are a few others, like the Union Forces, which will probably be listed as an alternative. The Rome Targas are good too, more adjustable, but also more expensive and probably not needed.

Take these answers with a grain of salt until one of the gurus turns up and has his say, shoots me down in flames, or both. Ask brand/model questions of 10 people and you'll probably get 10 different answers.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
whitemischief

Default Thank you

Thanks for that, Im glad you told me that as I nearly purchased the legacy hahaha a bit too keen. But I really do appreciate the info. i need to start getting ready as im leaving in 3 weeks.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

A couple of other options that were suggested to me:

Atomic Cold Smoke, Atomic Radon (both suited to what you want to do)
Rome Agent (more park orientated)

I'd suggest searching these forums as you probably find a number of posts looking for similar equipment at, or around, your height/weight and experience level. Then it's just a matter of sorting though the wealth of experience, options and opinions offered here.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
crazydrummer

I'd reccomend the Never summer SL-r. I beleive its the normal width version of the legacy. I just got it with some union force bindings, can't wait till it snows
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can ride the legacy with a 10.5 I did it last year its not a life or death situation but I think you'd want the SL R more. For your weight you could go for a 158 if you want something thats more playful and butterable 161 if you want it to be more freeride oriented. I'd check out the k2 formulas as well.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree with BurtonAvenger on the board and it's sizing... NeverSummer makes a great board and you won't be disappointed with one. I personally ride a Rome Flag which is the wide version of the Anthem another solid all around choice.

Bindings wise, The 390's are a good value but I believe you can still pick up a pair of last years Union Data's on sierrasnowboard for like $115 if you can that is probably the best deal you'll find on top tier bindings.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
whitemischief

Default Thank You

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help, theres not many places to get snowboarding advice in africa lol.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wu-Tang

Default soo lucky

aspen is amazing i love everything about it its hard to pick between the 4 mountains in the area but my favorite two are snowmass and buttermilk have fun and be careful there are a lot of crazy douche bag skiers out there ahahahahha

oh and make sure to stop by radio its a snowboard shop in the city of aspen all the people that work there r super chill and get one of their sweet stickers
Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu-Tang View Post
aspen is amazing i love everything about it its hard to pick between the 4 mountains in the area but my favorite two are snowmass and buttermilk have fun and be careful there are a lot of crazy douche bag skiers out there ahahahahha

oh and make sure to stop by radio its a snowboard shop in the city of aspen all the people that work there r super chill and get one of their sweet stickers
Hitting Snowmass late Jan.. Should be a great trip
Rice is offline   Reply With Quote