Arbor 2014 no news!!! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchball View Post
Do you think this move will effect the quality of next years boards?
Duh

There going to be solid platinum, encrusted with jewels.

Factory Crude oil wax

But I heard they're like eleventey million dollars

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
Dubai? What the hell are they doing in that nightmare of a place? It it's true they just lost major point with me.
Dubai... Built by slaves for the filthy rich. NOT LIKE

The dark side of Dubai - Johann Hari - Commentators - The Independent
They moved production to Dubai because the Élan factory where Arbor had boards made shut down. It is now in bankruptcy. Apparently, it was started by a couple of guys from the Elan factory. Here's a story about it: Industry Vets Launch SWS Snowboard Production In Dubai | TransWorld Business

On the surface Dubai doesn't seem to be logical, but there are several reasons that seem to make sense, from a nearby indoor resort that allows them to make test and make changes more quickly than at other production facilities in the northern hemisphere to the importing and exporting of materials and finished products (apparently it was quite expensive from the location of old Élan factory) it is an interesting read.
smerdyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why Dubai? Ever seen Zero Dark Thirty? It's a plot I tell ya. Al Qaeda are taking over snowboarding!!!
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

The quality will not suffer as well as I dont think the cost to consumers will not be changing any more than anything else.

Yes Elan was in trouble but most board companies pulled out due to cost of business using elan which is in the end what killed Elan. I know both of the guys that where originally involved with Arbor and are back working with them in Dubai are spending a LOT of time there to insure the move goes well for the production of next years line.
61ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Is Arbor seriously moving to Dubai? They brag about using environmentally friendly materials and then move their factory to Dubai, wow. Dubai is in a desert like Las Vegas. Both places uses a shit load of water and stress the environment around them to make the desert unlike the desert. The carbon footprint in Dubai is much larger than even LA.

Arbor looses all credibility for their environmental eco story on their website. They moved their factory to one of the most un sustainable places in the world, lol.

That indoor ski hill is not friendly for the environment. Plus testing equipment in a tiny indoor hill is not the kind of riding I would do, someone who will seriously ride a board.

I would quit Arbor if I worked for them and had to move to Dubai. People have gone to jail for years from poppy seeds from a bagel. Some over the counter cough medicines are illegal narcotics there. Women can go to jail if they report rape because it's illegal to have sex before marriage. Fuck that place.

I guess they will find plenty of slave labor to make the snowboards cheaper. They better not go bankrupt in Dubai. I hear debtors go to jail.

Fuck Arbor, I got Mervin.

IT AINT EAZY BEIN STEEZY
RockyMTNsteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

hahaha didn't think about it, but there is a hilarious contradiction in Arbor's eco-conscious brand moving production to the most unnatural place in the world.
skunkworks_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMTNsteeze View Post
Is Arbor seriously moving to Dubai? They brag about using environmentally friendly materials and then move their factory to Dubai, wow. Dubai is in a desert like Las Vegas. Both places uses a shit load of water and stress the environment around them to make the desert unlike the desert. The carbon footprint in Dubai is much larger than even LA.

Arbor looses all credibility for their environmental eco story on their website. They moved their factory to one of the most un sustainable places in the world, lol.

That indoor ski hill is not friendly for the environment. Plus testing equipment in a tiny indoor hill is not the kind of riding I would do, someone who will seriously ride a board.

I would quit Arbor if I worked for them and had to move to Dubai. People have gone to jail for years from poppy seeds from a bagel. Some over the counter cough medicines are illegal narcotics there. Women can go to jail if they report rape because it's illegal to have sex before marriage. Fuck that place.

I guess they will find plenty of slave labor to make the snowboards cheaper. They better not go bankrupt in Dubai. I hear debtors go to jail.

Fuck Arbor, I got Mervin.
Agreed. The carbon footprint is a lot larger in Dubai. I'm not really speaking to Arbor's eco-conscious philosophy, but more a CODB thing. Shipping is easier. Buying and selling materials and products in euros and dollars is easier. The indoor ski hill is a lot more practical than building a prototype shipping it to a place in the world that would where they could test out the changes. With few exceptions snowboard manufacturers are struggling from declining sales and they couldn't afford the cost of having their boards built at the Elan factory. I just think it is survival.

As someone from the PNW, until Mervin gives me a reason not to buy their boards, I will support the local businesses in my area.

Also just to be clear. Arbor does not own the factory. They contract the factory to build boards for them. Like Elan many other company's will have their boards built there. It is an OEM factory. The employees probably will be hired locally.

Though what I find most interesting is several people posting about Dubai's alleged human rights record. Most, if not all of us, who snowboard, buy boots and bindings that are most likely manufactured in China, which is not most definitely known as a bastion of human rights, nor are the other places some of the equipment we purchase are made. If your looking for gear that is made in places with pristine human rights records, you're going to be riding barefoot without bindings.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Boards should be made in A) British Columbia B) Colorado C) Austria D) i dont know what im typing.

haha. dubai. what a random place to build boards.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

BurtonA did you find my point?????
Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
Boards should be made in A) British Columbia B) Colorado C) Austria D) i dont know what im typing.

haha. dubai. what a random place to build boards.
Why should boards be made in BC, Colorado or Austria?

Dubai is no more random than having boots or bindings made in China. Or having outerwear that is made in Mexico (I think there used to be snowboards manufactured in Mexico as well).

It is pure and simple economic feasibility. Except for a handful of companies (Mervin, NS, Smokin', Niche, etc.), most snowboard brands cannot afford to have them built in BC, Colorado or Austria. It might also be worth mentioning that an even smaller fraction of those companies actually get their source materials for their boards in North America.

If you read the article I linked to previously, Dubai actually makes sense. Granted it is not the first place you think of when you think of manufacturing snowboards.