Nitro Team Gullwing and Status Uno/NS Evo - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nitro Team Gullwing and Status Uno/NS Evo

I've had my Nitro Team Gullwing for 2 seasons now and recently bought a 2012 Status Uno (which is basically a Never Summer Evo, but slightly stiffer I believe), so I figured I would share my thoughts on Nitro vs. Never Summer tech. I know there have been threads like this before, but it's good to have different perspectives from different people. I've ridden my Team Gullwing on hardpack, slush, powder, and ice, but only have ridden the Uno on slush, so I'll try to make this comparison as accurate as possible regardless.

First of all, I know some of you will bring up the fact that these are 2012 boards and that 2014 boards will be coming out this year, but only minor changes have been made. The Biggest difference on the newer Team Gullwings is the whiplash core profile, which adds pop. Never summer basically uses the same shaping and designs, but I've heard they were making lighter boards lately. So after setting all that aside, here it goes:

2012 Nitro Team Gullwing 159W (with Raiden Blackhawks) and
2012 Status Uno (NS Evo) 158 (with Raiden Zeros)

-Flex: Both are mid-stiff, which I prefer

-Durability: My Nitro has taken a lot of abuse and held up great, but I hear NS durability is top notch. This would not be a deciding factor for me though as both boards are very durable.

-Weight: Nitro is lighter for sure

-Pop: Definitely Nitro. Not to say the Uno doesn't have pop, but the Nitro is more lively when you load the tips. It's light weight and less dampening also allows you to have more fun on side hits because it kicks you up more. The whiplash core on my Swindle is incredible too, so I'd imagine the new TGs are only better.

-Carving: I would say that the Status Uno definitely holds an edge better, but I find the Nitro to be more fun around the mountain. The Team Gullwing is just faster and exits turns with a little more speed. On ice, I'd take the variogrip sidecut over the dual degressive sidecut any day though.

-Charging: Status/NS took the victory on this one. The Nitro is less hooky, but really likes to throw you all over the place in choppy snow compared to the Uno. My Status board is very damp and I had no problems charging through the crud to hit the hip transfer at Seven Springs on the last day. If you keep your legs loosened up, charging through chop on he TG isn't bad though. On a perfectly groomed run, I would probably prefer charging with the TG because of the mellow sidecut in the tips, but perfect groomers are a rarity.

-Jumps: I find it easier to initiate spins on the TG, but I still enjoyed jumping on the Uno. I haven't done anything too big on the Uno because of sciatic nerve pain all this past season, but that's another story. Nitro = less hooky on landings, Uno = easier to gain back control after landing because of the control that the sidecut and longer effective edge gives you. Both have their advantages.

-Pipe: Nitro for sure. I'm not sure why, but it just felt more natural. Probably just because the base is faster and it's easier to carry speed up the walls.

-Rails/boxes: Honestly, I don't really prefer either of these boards for rails as I don't like jibbing on rocker decks. I use my Nitro Swindle (0 camber) for this. If I had to pick between the TG and Uno it would be the Uno though because it will probably hold up to beatings longer due to the NS quality.

-Powder: Not sure how the Uno rides in powder, but I'm sure it would be excellent since it's rocker. I will comment that the TG slays it in powder though.

-Buttering/flatland: Both boards are a little on the stiffer side for buttering, but it can be done. I can whip around my TG any which way I desire, but it just takes a little more effort than on something like the Swindle. My sciatic nerve pain was kicking my ass when I tried to butter on the Uno the day I rode it, but I was able to get the tips up. It's definitely doable and when I rode my friend's Status Stigma earlier this season, that board was super buttery and easy to spin around on, so I know the sidecut doesn't interfere with that.

Overall, both choices are excellent buys. If I had to choose one for a dual camber quiver killer, I'd probably opt for the Nitro TG, but the Uno/NS board was really impressive too. You can typically find Status boards at steal prices at the end of each season though, so if money is tight, opt for a Status board.
quikboarder93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

Pretty sure that the generic NS's like Status and High Society lack tech components in order to make them cheaper.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the input! Well, the retail of the Status Uno was like $480, so I'd imagine that they couldn't have taken too much tech out since the NS Evo and Revolver run around $500. Status still uses NS' patented camber and variogrip sidecut though, so the shapes, how they ride on edge, etc... are still the same. Status also utilizes the PTex walls. I think they mostly just have trouble liquidating their inventory because they don't have a strong brand equity, so they have to drop the prices like crazy at the end of each seasons.
quikboarder93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!

I had just heard this. For example: less or no carbon layers, less or no rubber dampening, cheaper fiberglass, cheaper base material.

I'm not sure.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That's likely the case with Status. I know HS uses carbon, you can see it. And they claim they use slightly different core profiles than NS and they claim the Empire is entirely their own shape. I know for certain they're using the original RC mold for their Twin as it has the flat spot right before the contact pts that NS still denies ever existed. All said, so far I've liked the HS boards more than their NS counterparts. They just seem a tad bit more playful in the tips.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
That's likely the case with Status. I know HS uses carbon, you can see it. And they claim they use slightly different core profiles than NS and they claim the Empire is entirely their own shape. I know for certain they're using the original RC mold for their Twin as it has the flat spot right before the contact pts that NS still denies ever existed. All said, so far I've liked the HS boards more than their NS counterparts. They just seem a tad bit more playful in the tips.
One of the best riders I ride with likes those HS Twins alot.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
One of the best riders I ride with likes those HS Twins alot.
He must like it for all the "less or no carbon layers, less or no rubber dampening, cheaper fiberglass, cheaper base material."

I'm not sure.

Me neither

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
He must like it for all the "less or no carbon layers, less or no rubber dampening, cheaper fiberglass, cheaper base material."

I'm not sure.

Me neither
awesome post as always sir. wtf are you saying?!

I think the guys I know who are good could ride boards with no edges and a gouge for a base, so many people I think shop and study board reviews thinking that a $700 NS Raptor is going to take you from beginner to intermediate advanced or something. I may be on the cusp of actually enjoying these various decks because I ride enough days to appreciate the differences, but I think for people on either the low or high end of the skill spectrum, as long as its SHAPED like a snowboard, that's really all that matters.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
awesome post as always sir. wtf are you saying?!

I think the guys I know who are good could ride boards with no edges and a gouge for a base, so many people I think shop and study board reviews thinking that a $700 NS Raptor is going to take you from beginner to intermediate advanced or something. I may be on the cusp of actually enjoying these various decks because I ride enough days to appreciate the differences, but I think for people on either the low or high end of the skill spectrum, as long as its SHAPED like a snowboard, that's really all that matters.
That. For 80-90% or riders it really does not make much (if any difference). But don't tell people - what would they do if they realized that all the gear discussions and review are mostly pointless...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual camber, never summer, nitro, quiver killer, status