Elevation Sickness - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
DaveWWWR

Default Elevation Sickness

well, i might be going to tulleride, colorado. it all depends on how my feelings are towards elevation sickness. has anyone experienced it? because, i live in nj, and i'm going to a place with an elevation above 8,000 ft. so, what are your stories, how do you think i can prevent it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWWWR View Post
well, i might be going to tulleride, colorado. it all depends on how my feelings are towards elevation sickness. has anyone experienced it? because, i live in nj, and i'm going to a place with an elevation above 8,000 ft. so, what are your stories, how do you think i can prevent it.
i have. sucked. it has been a while since i got sick from it but i remember being out of commission for at least a day.
squishydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hope you're in good shape it hits everyone in some form or another when they come above 8,000 feet. Drink plenty of water, eat, and just easy style it. Also if you start noticing you're more angry don't drink this will accelerate it and altitude rage is not fun.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
DaveWWWR

hahaha yeah i'm not even legal yet, not planning on drinking or smoking either, but thanks. i heard theres a certain medicine you can take a few days before you go that will lessen the effects.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i got it the first day in breck. took it easy, only rode a half a day. by the next day i felt fine.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

When I've been riding in Les Arcs which peaks at just over 10,000 feet the only thing I find is that I seem to get nosebleeds in the first couple of days of being up there, especially when I spent the day riding the 2000-3200 meter part of the mountain. I had one so bad it looked like someone had been murdered violently in the toilet and I thought I was going to die from blood loss
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

wow! i have been lucky to visit some nice elevations, but the worst symptom i ever experienced was the need to take it easy due to breathlessness when riding Monte Rosa in Switzerland. (Peak height of 4600m / 15000ft.)

Otherwise, walking around the village of Val Thorens at 2300m with a peak at 3220m was a bit of a chore at the end of the day.

the only thing i recall being good for altitude sickness, is acclimatisation either in resort or thru hyperbaric chambers beforehand.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

No crazy homemade remedies? Ive recently gotten my girlfriend into snowboarding and as she keeps getting better I keep bringing her to better spots. I wanted plan an eventual colorodo or equivilant trip but she said when she was younger and she went to colorado to visit relatives she got really fainty and queezy.
mturn0687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The main reasons people have issues with altitude is not eating, and not staying hydrated. Couple that with hard partying and you got a recipe for a passed out tourist. So eat a breakfast in the morning, drink plenty of fluids, carry a quick energy snack, and if possible have something like a camelbak. As most others have said here, it usually gets you within the first couple of days. After that most people are fine.

The only other bit of advice is bring some pain relievers. Often times your first night or two, you can get a wicked headache sleeping at high altitudes. Generally some ibuprofen or equivalent will take care of the problem.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWWWR View Post
hahaha yeah i'm not even legal yet, not planning on drinking or smoking either, but thanks. i heard theres a certain medicine you can take a few days before you go that will lessen the effects.

i saw this and didnt read past cuz i knew what it was so if someone already told ya sorry.

its called dramamine and you can get it at cvs walmart rite-aid anywhere pretty much.. its for basically any motion sickness sorta thing.. i used it when i flew to mexico and felt like normal the whole time so i guess it worked.. its like 5 bucks for a bottle

start taking it about 2 days before you go!
55Nick15 is offline   Reply With Quote