Jones vs Never Summer - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Raptor is not terrible in pow, but it is far from a real pow deck. Good board, but not a pow slayer.
yah i get that its not tapered, swallowtail, whatever, its a charging deck.... and the best charging is thru powder!!
the OP's looking for something that can ride both ways, there's not much with more pow specific features that goes both ways.

if you can't slay pow on a raptor, it's likely the problem is you, not the board

works for me anyway
2cents...

Last edited by karkis; 05-04-2013 at 05:28 PM.
karkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Charlie Slasher
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Rooster King

i am the rooster king.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Still have to properly test the 'Craft on feet of powder. But that thing floats like a cloud.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

I did look at the Summit and Premier, but from what I could tell they didn't have a wide option...size 13 boots
charles_r_cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I am riding every board in the NS line. If it is strictly a powder board that you are after, the Summit is what you want. As for Jones, I think the Hovercraft is the one you want.

The Raptor does ride powder effortlessly and has the added benefit of being super damp for better handling in crud and hard surface conditions. Personally, I feel that the Premier is a little better ride in powder than the Raptor due to be a little softer flex and less damp but that is really personal preference.

Also, the Raptor does ride switch very well as does the Premier once the rider dials in the feel. The Summit rides switch well on firmer groomed terrain but not so well in powder or deep spring slush.
Isn't the Cobra a pow deck?

Last edited by snowklinger; 05-01-2013 at 04:02 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Hmmm... I can only give impressions on the 2013 Flagship and Raptor (not carbon, not X). I ride a 158 Flagship and my husband a 164 Raptor. We've taken then into a lot of pow this season and we've both tried each others boards. I'm VERY happy with the Flagship in pow, even in 40cm deep. Very good float, (well, it's pretty long for my weight), very fast, very stable, super responsive (and I like that it's a hybrid camber ) Cons: a rather tiring ride in choppy afternoon groomers. It won't absorb bumps. Null. zero. Here you'll find the big advantage of the Raptor: it's very well dampened and agile in moguls. I love my Flagship on morning groomers but also found the Raptor to be big fun to carve, thought I don't like the Rocker while straight lining... Hubby would prefere to have a Flagship for carving since its stiffer but makes pencil line carves with the Raptor too. We both prefer the Raptor in the afternoon crud

I'd say, the Flagship is more specialized. I take it for pow days and on cold groomer days. In such conditions it is PHANTASTIC, it's stability was the most striking quality. But it's bitchy elsewhere. For spring crud mogul days I got a softer backup board. The Raptor is more of an all day board.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Neither? Regular Flagship over carbon. You don't need a carbon Flagship. No one does.

K2 Ultra Dream. Still one of the best freeride/pow boards I've ridden. Or maybe a YES PYL? I just don't like Magne. And for a pow board why would you need it anyway?

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
You don't need a carbon Flagship. No one does.
Why not? Wouldn't the weight reduction be an advantage?
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For what? Hiking? Sure, if you're hiking multiple miles. Then again people have been doing it just fine for like ever with boards that aren't a full carbon topsheet. You save what, maybe like half a pound? Take the extra $400 you'd save and get a gym membership and get stronger. You'll save more weight in a hiking situation if you take a shit before you head out.

If you're putting yourself into crazy ascent situations like Jones then the weight savings can make a difference. You're not. And it will be a lot less painful for you if you sharkfin your new deck if it's the regular and not the carbon.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote