Sorry to beat the dead horse, what's the best all mountain/freeride board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sorry to beat the dead horse, what's the best all mountain/freeride board?

I'm an amateur/intermediate rider. I've had about one season of riding but went a lot! I'm 5"10-11 and weight about 190lbs. I will be riding to develop my skills to become better than I am, so I want a board that will help me be practical to learn and develop skill but is still able to use as an advance boarder later in the future. I ride the mountain and that's basically it. I will do some park but that is the last of my concerns. I wear a size 11 boot and I will be rocking the Ride SPi with DC Judge Boots.

In a thread I made earlier, Snowolf told me that with my size boot, I don't necessarily have to go with a wide board. Another rider at a shop I talked to said that I want about half of an inch of my heel and toe to be off the board. Is this true?

To the final question, what board should I get? I'm willing to spend up to $700. What's the best all mountain/freeride board that I can get?

I've looked at:
Rome Flag/Anthem
Rome Agent
Burton Custom/X
Atomic Hatchet
Atomic Rapture
Atomic Radon
Atomic Alibi
Atomic Dreamraider
Atomic Cold smoke
Never Summer SL-R/Legacy-R
Never Summer Titan

This is just few but many boards out there in the market. Any recommendations and opinions and etc?

Thanks!
DragonXero13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

i'm 1/2 a boot size smaller than you, the rome anthem is a great board. you want some boot overhang but not more than 3/4th an inch if i remember correctly.
squishydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

i hear that for all mountain freeriding, you'd be hard pushed to find a better alternative to a dead horse!

i grow confused
Old 10-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ride_Capita

you have to consider what kind of boarding you want to be doing. I personally like to do park pretty much exclusively and this affected the board and length of which i ride drastically. If you wanted to progress in the freestyle category i would recommend the Atomic Hatchet however if you wanted a more of a freeride board then the Rome Anthem would work well for you. The Burton Custom X would do well in both categories it being directional shape and flex but has the ability to set it to a twin with the ics system. Completely up to you, personally I hate Burton for reasons of my own so I would recommend the atomic Hatchet or Rome Anthem. Your choice.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_Capita View Post
I personally like to do park pretty much exclusively .
i grow even more confused.

now don't get riled up, as you say 'your choice', but i cannot understand the mental, that compells people to remain 'pretty much exclusively' in a man made, roped off park, when you have the majestic mountains all around!

more powder for me.......

still confused tho!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ride_Capita

i dont find all mountain riding to be challenging enough to hold my attention. dont mean to knock it just cant really go day in day out riding a slope would rather practice my tricks on the big kickers.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
ks4snow

I would suggest something that has a soft tortional flex to it. allowing you to twist the board easier, and initate turns faster. Something that is a twin, or mildly direcitonal will work. (set back less than 20 degrees) If you are looking to do bumps, trees, and deep shoulder touching carves you are going to want something with some pop to it, and the longest effective edge possible. Not a soft noodle type of snowboard. The actual snowboard is entirly up to you. Look at the specs, and find one that fits your riding style..
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ride_Capita

forgot to mention my home mountain is bear mountain which has little to no runs that are of any real quality so ive learned to love park riding.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_Capita View Post
forgot to mention my home mountain is bear mountain which has little to no runs that are of any real quality so ive learned to love park riding.
well that is understandable.

my 'home mountain' is anywhere at the end of a flight and so i was able to be selective as to what i would want from a snowboard experience.

i guess i should be glad of finding challenge in the form of steeps and deeps.

sincerley, enjoy your park life
Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm about the same height/weight as you and where a size 11 burton boot. I have been snowboarding for a bit longer but I don't get out as often as I used to. I just got a Never Summer Heritage X (wide version) last year and absolutely love it. Rode it for 5 days in Crested Butte and it was amazing on everything from groomers to pow. I don't do very much freestyle riding but it performed well on the few kickers and such I took it off. It also held up extremely well, the build quality is amazing. I would add it to your list.
ac251404 is offline   Reply With Quote