is a Burton Custom X too advanced for me? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I think everyone should own a stiff camber board at some point. It really points out flaws and gives you solid info on what's happening beneath your feet!
Haha, time to catch some edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
Or a Ride Bezerker for a 100 less too. The Bezerker is all mountain hybrid,rocker outside and camber in the middle... would that be a good upgrade from the GNU?
The hybrid camber would be a good option. The rocker nose would help to get a better float in pow (the Custom X does pow but not very good in deep). Other thing: there's this point in camber boards when you push them too hard in a carve with too much pressure on the nose and the snow is a bit too soft, the nose can dig into the snow and you're gonna make a nice catapult fall. Never reached this point with my hybrid camber Flagship cause the rocker in the nose doesn't dig, it floats.

Quote:
my concern is i have never ridden a really stiff board before, nor a camber do i think. I have ridden that GNU and a couple of crap rental boards before that. I wish i could try it out before i buy it.... Any ideas?
I rode the Ride Highlife, the stiffer Ride board and I would have brought it if I didn't own the Flagship already. Fun with such stiff boards is that you can push them as hard as you can and they won't moan. But some of those stiff boards are a harsh ride on the other side e.g. in moguls or in chopped up groomers, especially if the are not very well dampened. So if you want a stiff board, look into one with nice dampening, that will make life easier to get used to them. I also have the Ride Farah, read that it's kind of the woman's equivalent of the Berzerker. It's my soft forgiving second option board for days when I want to take it a bit more easy. You CAN push this board IF you want but you dont need to. If tired, take some lazy laps, if recovered, push it again. Its not overly stiff and it's well dampened. Maybe it would be a good first step to go from your rocker to a hybrid camber and not directly to a full camber.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

ah damn, waited too long and the custom x is sold out.
oh well, i think the Berzerker is a better option for me, Its more stiff and cambered than my current GNU so i think i can still use it as my all mountain board as i progress to advanced. i guess a one board quiver most of the time. Ill leave my GNU for the park.

Any thoughts on sizing? I am 6'1" and about 180 pounds with size 11.5 feet
The GNU Carbon Credit is a 159 W with a 267cm waist.
I sometimes feel its hard to go edge to edge on this board.

I am going to go with a bezerker wide since it is a pretty narrow board.
Remember i am going to be using this for mostly free ride and pow days. and need to be stable on ice and flats.
would i be better off with:
159W with 259cm waist.
162W with 261cm waist.

I may stick with a 159 so i dont have to whip around so much board. I am still an intermediate

Last edited by spacemanspiff; 05-09-2013 at 05:21 AM.
spacemanspiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
I am going to go with a bezerker wide since it is a pretty narrow board.
Remember i am going to be using this for mostly free ride and pow days. and need to be stable on ice and flats.
would i be better off with:
159W with 259cm waist.
162W with 261cm waist.

I may stick with a 159 so i dont have to whip around so much board. I am still an intermediate
Yeah, 159 should be fine, I'm 175 lb and fairly "advanced" I suppose, and usually ride a 159-160 or so. Also with 11.5 feet your right on the border of needing a wide board, so having a slightly more narrow waist won't be an issue.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Any thoughts on sizing? I am 6'1" and about 180 pounds with size 11.5 feet
The GNU Carbon Credit is a 159 W with a 267cm waist.
I sometimes feel its hard to go edge to edge on this board.
Make sure your feet are size 11 1/2 in snowboard boots and your boots fit properly before buying a wide. I made that mistake and recently found out my boots are significantly too large. (still need new ones though) There is probably a sticky that addresses boot fit in the boots section. Somewhere wiredsport also said something about how your feet should fit over the board.
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Guys wanted to ask some more advice. I am now debating on the ride bezerker vs the never summer SL. (Actually the legacy since I need a wide). I can get the ride bezerkerr about 50 bucks cheaper.

Again I am a intermediate boarder that sticks 90% of the time to the mountain. I am in all kinds of conditions but need a board that can handle ice and powder.

Any idea which is a better board overall? I'd like a good mix of hard charging and easy riding, I am slightly concerned the ride might be allot of board for me.
spacemanspiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Guys wanted to ask some more advice. I am now debating on the ride bezerker vs the never summer SL. (Actually the legacy since I need a wide). I can get the ride bezerkerr about 50 bucks cheaper.

Again I am a intermediate boarder that sticks 90% of the time to the mountain. I am in all kinds of conditions but need a board that can handle ice and powder.

Any idea which is a better board overall? I'd like a good mix of hard charging and easy riding, I am slightly concerned the ride might be allot of board for me.
The Berzerker is the better charging and pow board, so it should fit your needs better. But you might indeed need the wide (161 might just work, but 158 could be a touch narrow).

The SL not quite as good a fit for your style, but you will be fine with the regular width 158 and do not need the Legacy...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote