is a Burton Custom X too advanced for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default is a Burton Custom X too advanced for me?

Guys, real quick, I have been looking at getting a Burton Custom as I wanted to expand my quiver to include a camber board. I have found a great deal on a Custom X in my size which is almost the same prices as a good deal on custom.
Should i get it or will it kick my ass?

Background:
Been boarding for 2 years, skied for ages before that. Have been all over the Alps about 30 days a year for the 2 past years from beginner to a solid intermediate now. I mostly do all mountain but sometimes mess with the park. I have a GNU carbon credit rocker board that struggles with icy conditions but luckily most of the time I am running around in some powder or groomed conditions with powder.

I say I am a solid intermediate as I can link turns well and can handle most blacks except moguls and really steep conditions as my board seems to not like that stuff and my technique is maybe not good enough.

One of my friends rants about how awesome his custom is, and i found this deal on the custom x. should i pull the trigger?

thanks gods
spacemanspiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
duh

Pull the trigger, it won't be "too advanced" at all. The X is one of my favorite cambered boards. Sounds like you are ready to make that next step in your riding and the X would be a good fit.
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Stiff boards like to be rode hard. The more effort, energy you put in the more you get out. Coming from the carbon credit which is a board that let's you be lazy, you Will want to ride more agressivly
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

does aggressive mean going fast basically?
I usually dont push it on my GNU because it feels unstable at higher speeds to me. Not sure if its because of my technique or something else.

Secondly, should i get some EST bindings? I have some regular cartels I can use. I might just stick with those for now.

Last edited by spacemanspiff; 05-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's time to come play with the big dogs

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Again my main issue with my GNU Carbon credit is it sucks at really steep slopes(cant carve well enough), icy conditions (slides and cant carve well), and on flat runs (starts acting squirelly). Otherwise I am usually pretty happy with it. And that is when I am in powder usually
Would a camber be my best option to solve this?

Otherwise I would actually prefer a better all mountain hybrid board then limiting myself to a straight camber Custom X (unless that is the best option)
the Custom X is one option, I found some other cheaper deals on ride boards (about 100 bucks cheaper):

If I am sticking with camber I can also get a Ride DH for 100 bucks less.
Or a Ride Bezerker for a 100 less too. The Bezerker is all mountain hybrid,rocker outside and camber in the middle... would that be a good upgrade from the GNU? Its a bit less stiffer than the DH.

my concern is i have never ridden a really stiff board before, nor a camber do i think. I have ridden that GNU and a couple of crap rental boards before that. I wish i could try it out before i buy it.... Any ideas?

thanks guys

Last edited by spacemanspiff; 05-08-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
does aggressive mean going fast basically?
No, not necessarily. You can ride fast without being aggressive and vice versa. But it goes hands in hands where the fun begins Aggressive equals more work with the legs, deeper in the knees, push the board hard on the edges. One aggressive run is more exhaustive than an entire day cruising cause you'll demand a lot from your thighs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
I usually dont push it on my GNU because it feels unstable at higher speeds to me. Not sure if its because of my technique or something else.
I don't know the GNU but the Custom X will love to be pushed. Great board for carving and very stable at high speeds.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's just a board.
It's not like you're gonna get out there & forget how to snowboard

I have Carbon Credit 56 & a couple Palmer Titanium Channel 64's, I think the Palmers are @ least 3 times stiffer, in every direction than the Custom X
But probably more similar than a lot of other boards

I bring em both & switch em throughout the day. They're only different to ride. Meaning one performs better @ somethings than the other.

Doesn't mean one is harder to ride than the other, as long as you ride it in its intended conditions & do the things it's designed to do.

All in all, it's a pretty good combo to have I like em, they cover a wide spectrum.

If you have big, steep, wide open groomers, that are picture perfect corduroy?
The first time you take it out...
You're gonna shit your pants, from going so fast

Riding the Palmer is like driving this. So the Custom X might be close. James May's Bugatti Veyron Top Speed Test - Top Gear - BBC autos - YouTube

The Carbon Credit is like driving this. DC SHOES: KEN BLOCK GYMKHANA TWO THE INFOMERCIAL - YouTube

Both are fuckin' awesome, when used properly

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

As menu said, not faster just more effort. Your carbon credit would probably carve better on steeped if you rode it harder too. Btx boards are kind of on or off, if you don't roll the over far enough you don't engage the whole edge. I love how mt skatebanana carves other people say its squirrely. Ride hard you will be rewarded.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Yeah, you'll probably find it quite good. Stiff and cambered are only negative terms if "weak" and "flaky" are frequently used as descriptions for you...

They are more effort than some of the hybrid options (my camber board with a rockered nose carves HARD and is much more fun in powder than my heavily cambered Burton T7) but they are very precise.

I think everyone should own a stiff camber board at some point. It really points out flaws and gives you solid info on what's happening beneath your feet!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote