What do you know about GNU Lib Tech Boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do you know about GNU Lib Tech Boards

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new board for the season maybe. I looked at some videos and I saw some LibTech boards and GNU. My friend said he sees them on some pro riders, but it's not too popular. I couldn't find much reviews on these boards. But what kind of stuff do you guys know about these two companies.
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lib tech, gnu and roxy (and maybe a few others) are all made by mervin here in the US. great boards all around. you cant go wrong with a lib or gnu. i rock a lib tech jamie lynn pro myself and there are a bunch of people around here with skate bananas
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

They have become very popular recently with their banana reverse camber and magne-traction. Being owned by Quiksilver they have a decent amount of money to pump into, well whatever they want really. I'm not sure why they don't make the DC boards though, seeing as Quik own DC but the board are made by Rossignol who they used to own, but whatever.

You can find more info about BTX + MTX, but you'll wanna demo a board as some people think the reverse camber is the best thing ever in snowboarding and some (like me) are not the biggest fans of it. So it's personal preference for sure.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
highermindF-ect

Default Mervin!!!!

Mervin boards are the baddest boards on the mountain!!!! This is all how you look at it. Baddest as in "Kick Ass", and you mean, great all mountain boards with cutting edge Graphics and Designs. New Tech that is changing the face of snowboarding A+. Lots of rider exposure=lots of $. Or, Baddest as in "Worst" Mervin Skate Bananas easily de-lam and banana/rocker camber is less of an all mountain board. Sometimes, hard to get used to unless experienced. Lots of rider exposure=lots of $.

I love Mervin boards, myself. Especially the SB. But, since most of Mervin's 09 line comes equipped with BTX(Banana Tech), I plan to ride Lib Tech's TRS BTX. I rode GNU's Altered Genetics last year and loved it. The 09 AG has BTX. If you do go with Mervin, just be prepared for possible de-lam. Of course, that all depends on your style of riding.

Mervin's former sister company Rossignol has a few nice boards that feature MTX, if your interested in that technology. And, my experience with Rossi boards has always been good, in fact I ride my Rossi and Dynastar boards every year, depending on condition.

In any case, hope you find your ripper!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
dReWiZ

What is the banana tech is it for more advanced riders only? and what is reverse camber?

would you reccomend a btx board to a intermediate rider...riding all mountain? Also i hear that you ride theseboards at shorter lengths why is this?

sorry for all the questions just trying to figure out if a btx would be good for me!

Thanks!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My GNU CHB was a solid board, but the Danny Kass (not vertigo) wasnt the best. I learned alot about board tech last year because of it. The bottom had 3 gouges to the core that were filled with P-tex, 4 spots around the edges. mostly around the corners I had to epoxy because of delam and a few nickers on 10 and 2 of the nose because the board didnt have an edge on nose or tail. otherwise it was a nice board.

BTX just means the board is shaped a little differently. Think of a Banana and that is the basic principle, I havent used one personally but I feel like I would enjoy the Bataleon design a little more.

Magnetraction is a system that incorporates 7 points of surface contact instead of two. supposed to be more stable, I wonder if its as fast, more contact = more friction in my mind

Last edited by RidePowder; 10-30-2008 at 05:20 PM.
RidePowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

If there is more friction, then it should actually go faster.
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagels View Post
If there is more friction, then it should actually go faster.
That makes no sense, friction slows you down, the whole idea of waxing your board is to reduce friction on the snow. It's a resisting force so more of it can't make you faster.

Regardless I think the amount of extra contact on the edge will make close to no difference.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

wax reduces friction but it doesnt eliminate it. so while it may be a minimal difference in friction I do feel that there will be reduced speed. but it might be more stable, Im not sure I dont have any experience with MTX or BTX so I couldnt tell ya
RidePowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was under the impression that wax creates friction on the snow. The snow melts because of the friction. When the snow melts into water, the board glides on it. That is what my impression was. Is this not true? Set me straight.
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote