[Consolidation] Deep pow-bility of all mountain boards - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
LOL

Making semantical arbitrary subjective statements does not make them facts, even if you do it on the interwebz, and it seems to be less than helpful to the OP just for the sake of disagreeing.
Bullshit. The OP had some fairly specific requirements - and he expressly invited comments.
My list is not arbitrary, but directly addressing his question. You can disagree with my list, as you can with my comments/recommendations - but a blanket dismissal of my post without any positive input certainly does not help the OP.

EDIT: I see that you have edited your post and removed the only constructive advice/suggestion (the Arbor deck) you head, as you (belatedly) realized that it fell outside of the OP's solution space.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Appreciate all the various opinions but lets not reduce this thread to a flame war

Actually, I was hoping for some concrete info of boards used in deep pow. hktrdr, have u used any of your recommended boards in deep pow before? which board? what length?
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
The NS Proto will handle the poo.
Can I assume that u used this board in deep pow b4? what length? Even though I am only looking at lib-tech board due to logistic reasons, I was hoping to include as many boards as possible into the list in #1. Should be a useful piece of info to me as well as others
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Rooster King

this thread is full-retard.

OP rides 300+ days a year and needs advice on a snowboard? how the fuck do you ride 300+ days in a year?

you want a twin that is 'on par' with a pow board - it doesn't exist. twins are far from ideal for pow. you want one that is dialed in for pow - don't get a twin. they'll all suck similarly.

blunted nose: you are absolutely THE LAST person on the planet qualified to recommend a board to anyone you spaz.... like you know how to ride powder anyways - you blame everything on your board. learn to ride.

concrete info on boards used in deep pow: they aren't twins.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
OP rides 300+ days a year and needs advice on a snowboard? how the fuck do you ride 300+ days in a year?
300+ days over a period of 15 years ... never tried a C-R-C board b4 and just wanted to ask around. we dun get many chances to demo boards here.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned!

HKTRDR:

I found the OP a bit convoluted and couldn't tell they were interested in ONLY Mervin but if that's the case...I just don't see why u put Protos in there and then act like their place in your list is some point of reference, so much so that you have to disagree with me. In fact the order of your list IS completely arbitrary. Having you call into question my real world suggestion of a board I have ridden in the deep stuff is as laughable as it always is when keyboard jockeys want to get in snowboard wars on the internet. Sorry if you thought you were gonna incorrectly quote me as "incorrect" and think I was just gonna lie down. Don't say shit if you don't wanna hear shit, no big deal.

I removed the Arbor suggestion when I realized the thread was Mervin oriented, although I could not tell if that was from the OP or not.

To the OP in that case, there are tons of boards to consider, and yes I ride a '54 Proto, this year took it tits deep several times, waist deep many, I weigh 180lbs (admittedly not ideal for meadowskipping, but I ride the steeps).

Arbor Blacklist/Westmark, Yes the Greats would be in my top consideration beside the Proto. TBH there are so many great boards right now, there are alot of flat cambers with rocker tips that look fun from K2, most hybrids will float significantly better than classic camber. The Smokin' boards I always like the look of too....

You wanna stick with things in the middle of the road flex-wise(or stiffer), softer rocker boards tend to fold up in the deep stuff and slow you down alot.

Keep in mind snow weight and human weight on a twin are gonna have a big effect on how these boards ride for people compared to some pow stick made to float your fat ass through ice jello.

Last edited by snowklinger; 05-09-2013 at 09:59 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I do ride a lot of powder but some people do not have the luxury of multiple quiver. Still searching for that twin all mountain board that is deep pow friendly
Consider Burton Sherlock, it's a powder oriented twin.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
this thread is full-retard.

you want a twin that is 'on par' with a pow board - it doesn't exist. twins are far from ideal for pow. you want one that is dialed in for pow - don't get a twin. they'll all suck similarly.

blunted nose: you are absolutely THE LAST person on the planet qualified to recommend a board to anyone you spaz.... like you know how to ride powder anyways - you blame everything on your board. learn to ride.

concrete info on boards used in deep pow: they aren't twins.
I think the OP meant 300 days of total riding, not per year. (EDIT: I see he confirmed this already in the meantime.)

Agree completely with everything else.

Last edited by hktrdr; 05-09-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
HKTRDR:

I found the OP a bit convoluted and couldn't tell they were interested in ONLY Mervin but if that's the case...I just don't see why u put Protos in there and then act like their place in your list is some point of reference, so much so that you have to disagree with me.
Because the Proto is the one NS board that was specifically mentioned as potentially available to the OP.

Quote:
In fact the order of your list IS completely arbitrary.
No, it is my personal opinion, but it is not arbitrary, at all. It it is my opinion on which decks best meet the specific criteria listed by the OP - based on my real life experience of riding all of these boards (except for the HD and the Pillow) in exactly the same location and conditions as the OP rides.

Quote:
To the OP in that case, there are tons of boards to consider, and yes I ride a '54 Proto, this year took it tits deep several times, waist deep many, I weigh 180lbs (admittedly not ideal for meadowskipping, but I ride the steeps).

Arbor Blacklist/Westmark, Yes the Greats would be in my top consideration beside the Proto. TBH there are so many great boards right now, there are alot of flat cambers with rocker tips that look fun from K2, most hybrids will float significantly better than classic camber. The Smokin' boards I always like the look of too....

You wanna stick with things in the middle of the road flex-wise(or stiffer), softer rocker boards tend to fold up in the deep stuff and slow you down alot.
Clearly you have never ridden in Hokkaido and have absolutely no idea what kind of board works in the conditions there...

Last edited by hktrdr; 05-09-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Because the Proto is the one NS board that was specifically mentioned as potentially available to the OP.

No, it is my personal opinion, but it is not arbitrary, at all. It it is my opinion on which decks best meet the specific criteria listed by the OP - based on my real life experience of riding all of these boards (except for the HD and the Pillow) in exactly the same location and conditions as the OP rides.

Clearly you have never ridden in Hokkaido and have absolutely no idea what kind of board works in the conditions there...
I never said I did ride Hokkaido or the Mervin catalog.

My point is that the differences between the top 5 boards on your list are pretty marginal and while they maybe rated by how you think they float in pow there are many variables at play. Your skill level probably being the most important and questionable variable of all, not to mention weight, slope degrees, moisture content of the snow that day depending on time of the season and simple preferences in decks like stiffness.

If you don't understand the difference between empirical and subjective statements and when you are or are not making them, it really makes no sense for me to sit here and have a retarded interweb argument about it.

This entire discussion is wrought with fallacy and proceeding is just insulting to the readers.

It should be noted that this thread is about Mervins and Protos in Hokkaido should anyone be foolish enough to stray or suggest otherwise.

I know it seems like I came in here trolling for a fucking argument about something stupid, but in fact I was just really stoked to share how well my Proto worked for me in the deep stuff this year.

Last edited by snowklinger; 05-09-2013 at 11:45 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote