[Consolidation] Deep pow-bility of all mountain boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[Consolidation] Deep pow-bility of all mountain boards

EDIT: While I appreciate all the recommendations, the original intention of this thread is to consolidate the effectiveness of actual boards in deep powder. Subjective I know but better than guessing from board spec

Still trying to decide which all mountain board (deep pow friendly) to buy and well, during the course of my research, I came across quite a few similar post, just tot that it might be a good idea to consolidate what I have found so far. Should be a good reference for people troubled by board sizing.

Short of a super short board (pun intended), most boards should be able to handle up till 8" worth of fresh pow. So feel free to add your board below if you usually ride in pow > 8".

Name, weight, total riding days, powder condition, board,url?

U call this deep?

Willy, 165, 300+, hokkaido, 09-10 Skate Banana 156,
mjd, 170, ?, ?, T.Rice 157, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-hp-157-a.html
Irahi, 160, ?, heavy, T.Rice 157, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...157-161-a.html
wrathfuldeity, 180, ?, ?, Goat 159, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-goat-trs.html
Lstarrasl, 170, ?, ?, Dark 161, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-c2-btx-7.html
schmitty34, 210, ?, ?, T.Rice 161.5, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-c2-btx-7.html
snowklinger, 180, ?, waist deep & steeps, Proto 154
dreampow, 175, ?, nagano, 13-14 Cobra 158, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/nev...tml#post934682
ju87, 145, ?, hokkaido, Nidecker Ultralight 158
Supra, 160, 839, japan, Burton Sherlock 160 / Nug 150 / Ultra dream 161, pg 4
Neni, 123, 450, 40cm, Jones Flagship 158, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...od-idea-3.html
"Hubby", 190, 800+, 40cm, NS Raptor 164, pg 4
duh, 200, ?, light, T.Rice HP 161.5
duh, 200, ?, heavy, T.Rice HP 164
snowolf, 190, ?, ?, Cobra 158, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/nev...-cobra-16.html
Lamps, 190, ?, 2 feet, Sherlock 163 / Malolo 166, pg 5

Tough but doable if you have legs of steel

Willy, 175, 300+, hokkaido, 11-12 Highlife 155
03SVTCobra, 180, ?, ?, 08-09 T.Rice 153, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-sizing.html
ju87, 145, ?, hokkaido, Carbon credit 153

Last edited by Willy; 05-14-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add to list
Willy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Still trying to decide which all mountain board (deep pow friendly) to buy and well, during the course of my research, I came across quite a few similar post, just tot that it might be a good idea to consolidate what I have found so far. Should be a good reference for people troubled by board sizing.

Short of a super short board (pun intended), most boards should be able to handle up till 8" worth of fresh pow. So feel free to add your board below if you usually ride in pow > 8".

Name, weight, riding days, powder (max), board,url?

U call this deep?

Willy, 165, 300+, light (12"), 09-10 Skate Banana 156,
mjd, 170, ?, ?, T.Rice 157, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-hp-157-a.html
Irahi, 160, ?, heavy, T.Rice 157, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...157-161-a.html
wrathfuldeity, 180, ?, ?, Goat 159, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-goat-trs.html
Lstarrasl, 170, ?, ?, Dark 161, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-c2-btx-7.html
schmitty34, 210, ?, ?, T.Rice 161.5, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-c2-btx-7.html

Tough but doable if you have legs of steel

Willy, 175, 300+, light (12"), 11-12 Highlife 155
03SVTCobra, 180, ?, ?, 08-09 T.Rice 153, http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-sizing.html
I dont get what your saying, but deep pow? Maybe Billy goat or the new speedodeeps? If it was me id go with a directional tapered swallow tail.
blunted_nose is offline  
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
I dont get what your saying, but deep pow? Maybe Billy goat or the new speedodeeps? If it was me id go with a directional tapered swallow tail.
I do ride a lot of powder but some people do not have the luxury of multiple quiver. Still searching for that twin all mountain board that is deep pow friendly
Willy is offline  
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I do ride a lot of powder but some people do not have the luxury of multiple quiver. Still searching for that twin all mountain board that is deep pow friendly
You already have got the answer from the other thread(s) - if a true twin, you basically need a full full rocker deck (e.g., Dirty Pillow, Skate Banana, etc.) or something very close (e.g., Banana Magic), but none of these can hold a candle to a proper pow deck.
hktrdr is offline  
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
You already have got the answer from the other thread(s) - if a true twin, you basically need a full full rocker deck (e.g., Dirty Pillow, Skate Banana, etc.) or something very close (e.g., Banana Magic), but none of these can hold a candle to a proper pow deck.
Hahaha, sorry if my posts were misleading ... I am not looking for the perfect twin all mountain snowboard that is on par with a proper pow deck. With my choice, I will definitely get sub-par performance compared to a pow deck which is fine with me.

Looking at the various post on T.Rice 157, at 160 lbs ... u should get decent performance in deep pow. Nearing 210 lbs ... perhaps a T.Rice 161.5 makes more sense. In my case 175 lbs, T.Rice 157 is a bit risky, 161.5 would be less fun in trees ... perhaps I should get a TRS 159?
Willy is offline  
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,964
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
The NS Proto will handle the poo.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Hahaha, sorry if my posts were misleading ... I am not looking for the perfect twin all mountain snowboard that is on par with a proper pow deck. With my choice, I will definitely get sub-par performance compared to a pow deck which is fine with me.

Looking at the various post on T.Rice 157, at 160 lbs ... u should get decent performance in deep pow. Nearing 210 lbs ... perhaps a T.Rice 161.5 makes more sense. In my case 175 lbs, T.Rice 157 is a bit risky, 161.5 would be less fun in trees ... perhaps I should get a TRS 159?
Based on your description, probably in this order (true twins from Mervin and NS):
1. Attack Banana
2. Skate Banana
3. Proto HD
4. Banana Magic
5. Proto CT
6. TRS
7. Riders Choice
8. T. Rice

Or, if you can go more pow specific, the Dirty Pillow.
hktrdr is offline  
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
The NS Proto will handle the poo.
It will - adequately, but not outstandingly. There are better options.
hktrdr is offline  
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,964
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Based on your description, probably in this order (true twins from Mervin and NS):
1. Attack Banana
2. Skate Banana
3. Proto HD
4. Banana Magic
5. Proto CT
6. TRS
7. Riders Choice
8. T. Rice

Or, if you can go more pow specific, the Dirty Pillow.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
It will - adequately, but not outstandingly. There are better options.
Making semantical arbitrary subjective statements does not make them facts, even if you do it on the interwebz, and it seems to be less than helpful to the OP just for the sake of disagreeing.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 05-09-2013 at 07:30 AM.
snowklinger is offline  
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
The NS Proto will handle the poo.
Thanks for the recommendation

Was interested in the C-R-C tech of never summer & lib tech, however getting a never summer board in Japan is difficult so I was forced to narrow my search to mainly lib tech / gnu boards.
Willy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome