Differences in stance width: how much is too much? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Differences in stance width: how much is too much?

Right now, from instep to instep I'm at 17.5" for a 5'9" male with a 32" inseam. I'm on an all mountain board set-up goofy at -2* left foot, 8* right foot. I've read people around that weight going as wide a 22"

I've been going great in the current set-up, but wonder if I can get more performance from changing it up. I have a freestyle board I'll be working on the set-up so tips would be great there as well. I know each rider is different, but some ballparks will help so I can dial-in from there.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I dont think think weight has anything to do with width stance, as much as height does.Im 5'8 , and ride @24 inches 15/15 on my park board. And 24 inches @18/15 when im freeriding.It's all prefrence wider stances for better balance, shorter stances for better turns and such. with a shorter stance you have more front leg extention.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

just try it all and whatever feels best. its preference
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

This may sound totally wrong, but when I did my binding set up a long time ago I used this method... Put the snowboard on the carpet, to prevent it from scratching on hardwood floors. Stand with each foot centered on the mounting areas of board. Jump straight up in the air, and whatever angle your feet land at you can use that as a angle setup. Give or take a few degrees. I know that sounds weird, but when you come back down your in a comfortable position with your knees bent and feet supporting you.
RomeBeta32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
ks4snow

There is not a set anwer to this. As long as you can bend your knees to a 90 degree or better ( I like to be able to drop my ass to the ground) without feeling a pull on the out side of the knee caps, the width is fine. As for angles, it depends on what you are doing. Your shoulders referance alignment will be the same as your front foot. I.e. if you have your front binding set at a 15 back binding 0, then your shoulders will open up to a 15 towards the fall line. You want to try and keep the split (or difference between the angles) as close to zero as possible, so your shoulders stay with the board. The wider the stance, the lower your center of gravity, which equals more stability, and forces you to keep equal pressure on both feet. As opposed to riding only on your back leg.

My freestyle/jib/pipe board I ride 15/-15, my free ride/everything board 8/-8 but the same 20 1/2 instep on both set ups.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

what is the "normal" way to measure? I measured from where my instep of my foot would be.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
ks4snow

you got it. instep to instep.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeBeta32 View Post
This may sound totally wrong, but when I did my binding set up a long time ago I used this method... Put the snowboard on the carpet, to prevent it from scratching on hardwood floors. Stand with each foot centered on the mounting areas of board. Jump straight up in the air, and whatever angle your feet land at you can use that as a angle setup. Give or take a few degrees. I know that sounds weird, but when you come back down your in a comfortable position with your knees bent and feet supporting you.
I use the same technique. Thats what i was told when i first started riding. I just put the bindings on whatever angle and just ride. I dont get all technical.
Jerzey Boarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
forum_jiblet

ok so i ride at about 22" and a 15 front and 7 back... should my bindings be 15/15 or can it stay the way it is...???
Old 10-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

My stance on my park board is 25.5. I'm 5'10" or 11". I know it's too wide because I can feel it restricting my movement, but anything less feels uncomfortable.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote