What do you use for moguls and trees? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do you use for moguls and trees?

Hey, as the title suggests im looking for a good board to handle moguls and trees. I currently use a Ride Machete which I love, but I am always looking to upgrade. Moguls and trees are really all I do. I tried a GNU Pickle earlier this past season and hated it. I felt that the Magnetraction while nice on groomers bit way to much into the moguls. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
miplatt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miplatt88 View Post
Hey, as the title suggests im looking for a good board to handle moguls and trees. I currently use a Ride Machete which I love, but I am always looking to upgrade. Moguls and trees are really all I do. I tried a GNU Pickle earlier this past season and hated it. I felt that the Magnetraction while nice on groomers bit way to much into the moguls. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I'd get a twin with a decent amount of torsional flex so that it is not super planky for turning. Imo you can't do much better than my Proto, but there are tons of boards that would fit this bill.

It is really all about skill this kind of riding not board choice. As long as you stay away from large and stiff, pretty much anything will work.

Even a soft park board will work because you don't have that much speed in the situation either.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is there a lib tech or gnu that doesnt have magnetraction? I loved the feel of it through moguls but i hated how much it bit... What board do you use snowklinger?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Banana Hammock

The JL is a milder mag
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I'd get a twin with a decent amount of torsional flex so that it is not super planky for turning. Imo you can't do much better than my Proto, but there are tons of boards that would fit this bill.

It is really all about skill this kind of riding not board choice. As long as you stay away from large and stiff, pretty much anything will work.

Even a soft park board will work because you don't have that much speed in the situation either.
Pretty much this. Other than something really big and stiff (that's what she said), pretty much anything will work. Hell, even my 164 Charlie Slasher is fun in the trees once you get accustomed to how long that nose is. You'll end up clipping that nose a few times before you get the hang of it.

The only board I've really struggled in the trees on was a 169 NS Summit split that I borrowed from killclimbz. That thing was a mother fucker to throw around in the trees, but then again a 169 is way too much board for me.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Your Machete should be able to handle this type of riding no problem - however I found the zero camber under and between the feet a bit plankish, but that may be subjective.

If you want to switch it up try out a Camrock and an RC type profile that fits snowklingers suggestions (twin, decent torsional flex), and see which you prefer.

And like linvillegorge mentioned, board length also plays a factor in mogul and trees so don't go too long!
Peyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

How does the Never Summer Raptor fair in moguls? From reading reviews online it sounds pretty ridiculous in the trees.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton root. Size down 10cm from your regular length. Super easy to turn in the tightest moguls & trees. Still totally carvable
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

you would like something twin and either flat kick or reverse. flat kick handles very well in powder and trees as it turns on a time, reverse same thing but you will get a little washy sometimes on packed snow
Krato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Moguls and trees where exactly?
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glade, mogul, moguls, tree, trees