Board rental woes. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board rental woes.

Hi guys.

I know you prob get inundated with " what board should i buy " threads , but I need some advice.

After going boarding for my first time in Japan for 8 days , It was a sure thing I'd become hooked. What a holiday.

A year later and we are heading to France for 2 weeks. Yay.
The only problem is , we have to rent gear, as we just can't go as often as we'd like , being stuck in West Australia.

I've done some research but wanted to narrow down what kind of board specs wise , to rent to get the best from my hol.

I am linking turns and riding on intermediate runs and managed some powder.
I will prob weigh around 172lbs on the slope
178cm tall
Boot size 11 us (so mid wide??)
I'm thinking an all mountain board that will be great for carving and powder in that order , but no park. Should still be able to ride fakie
I"ll be 39 years old dammit

So for mostly carving and some powder , What length and bottom contour should I be ideally looking for at the shop.

Cheers

Graham

Last edited by graham; 05-23-2013 at 06:24 AM.
graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Hi guys.

I know you prob get inundated with " what board should i buy " threads , but I need some advice.

After going boarding for my first time in Japan for 8 days , It was a sure thing I'd become hooked. What a holiday.

A year later and we are heading to France for 2 weeks. Yay.
The only problem is , we have to rent gear, as we just can't go as often as we'd like , being stuck in West Australia.

I've done some research but wanted to narrow down what kind of board specs wise , to rent to get the best from my hol.

I am linking turns and riding on intermediate runs and managed some powder.
I will prob weigh around 172lbs on the slope
178cm tall
Boot size 11 us (so mid wide??)
I'm thinking an all mountain board that will be great for carving and powder in that order , but no park. Should still be able to ride fakie
I"ll be 39 years old dammit

So for mostly carving and some powder , What length and bottom contour should I be ideally looking for at the shop.

Cheers

Graham
In terms of bottom contour....

At your level it really does not matter, just dont let them give u a park noodle or a hard boot mono ski and you will be fine. As you can see from many recent articles there is a theme here where if u can ride it doesnt matter if it is a McDonalds tray or a two by four.

Just get an all mountain twin around 155-159. The extra size won't really hold you back, but you don't need it either. Fwiw I ride a blunted `54 at 180lbs (it rides a bit more like a '57-'58 but I'm probably fatmaxxing it ). Shorter for more skatey quicker turns, a bit bigger for a bit more stability.

If u luck into real pow (deeper than 30cm lets say) it would be worth it for you to try for pow-specific even if u lose that "fakie"ability, especially as a beginner it will make pow real fun and easy. Pow is alot of work anyway. This would be wait and see and ask them at the shop if its puking snow.

Last edited by snowklinger; 05-23-2013 at 07:21 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You say you are off to France for a 2 week holiday...?

When are you going, this could make a huge difference as to what you look at. And what will be available.

Assuming this is a "Winter Holiday" then all normal rules apply, if this is a "Summer Holiday", then you will be on Glaciers, and it is very icy so the advice could well be different...

More info might help... Time and Location in France would be good...
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey
Cheers for answers
Heading to Tignes Dec 7 to 21. Hoping for some decent snow by then.
I thought I'd be looking at something over 160cm.
graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Cool, i had visions of a glacier trip with hard packed ice and or slush... Haha

And you should never say no to park riding, you might surprise yourself, although Tignes is not so park orientated they do have park set ups, but maybe not so much early in the season...

A friend owns a Store in the UK that rents, but obviously is of no help to you, but i will pick there brains about where is best to go there, they take a week every year at Tignes and have done for the last 10 years...
Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just spoken by email to the store i said, and they have come back and recommended using this site...

Tignes Ski & Snowboard Hire

It has the advantage of being English speaking which is a major plus for you, as a lot of the stores in Tignes only have French Websites, although they will have English speaking staff in store, but that will mean hiring when you get there...

Have a look through it and see what you think...

Some real saving with the discounts as well, as Tignes is not cheap to hire, for 14 days, it may be worth buying... Haha
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
koi
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I would think a 157-160 would be perfect. Do you need a 160-no probably not, but since you are still a newb you may find a slightly larger board better for stability.

Also most rental shops allow you to swap boards when you are renting. I would start with an all-mountain camber, and maybe try to sneak in a few days with a rocker and/or a hybrid. This way if you do start to buy your own gear you have an idea which board you like the feel of the most. When I went to Zermatt for 2 weeks I tried a couple different board, just because I could.

Also the one item I would consider pulling the trigger on is boots. I'm not a big fan of boot rentals.
koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi View Post
I would think a 157-160 would be perfect..
Yeah I agree, you want a nice mid flex all mountain 158cm, this will give you a good level of stability and manageability. In terms of boots, just try a few pairs on, you want them to be comfortable as rental boots will have done all the packing out they are going to do.

Other than that don't over think it, just work on getting a solid technique down.

As an aside I see a lot of people learning to ride on a reverse camber, it does mean you catch less edges and take less tumbles but I think you learn better technique starting out on a traditional camber, just my opinion though....

Last edited by AntipodeanSam; 05-23-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: error
AntipodeanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntipodeanSam View Post
As an aside I see a lot of people learning to ride on a reverse camber, it does mean you catch less edges and take less tumbles but I think you learn better technique starting out on a traditional camber, just my opinion though....
the main difference is that you learn to truly unweight on turns. While this is an important technique, equally important is knowing every ounce of pressure between "weight" and "unweight" which is not very internetty in terms of explanation vs experience vs conditions.

Watch the recent vid on BA's site with JJ and Xavier. Those guys are using super basic technique on most of the slope. This is because it is almost vertical and also lifethreatening ("no fall"). Its the same shit, but they are sponsored by $$$$drink$$$ and themselves and all the badass shit.

Last edited by snowklinger; 05-23-2013 at 09:28 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

hey there,

Have you any ideas where you want to rent from whilst in Tignes. Could you get in touch with one and find out what they have in stock / likely to have bought in for the new season ?

Ive always found it can be pot luck when it comes to rental stuff regardless of what you want.

You generally can get the right size but after that it down to chance unless find a really decent rental shop ( which obviously means you will be paying more to get the better boards)
snowbadger is offline   Reply With Quote