Tire chains? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
sparelink

Default Tire chains?

Just want to see what you guys prefer when buying tire chains? Do you like the cable kind or the Chains kind? Z- pattern or latter pattern? I need to get new chains for my car this year and want to know what is best. it will be for a saturn(i know, P.O.S) with 14in tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparelink View Post
Just want to see what you guys prefer when buying tire chains? Do you like the cable kind or the Chains kind? Z- pattern or latter pattern? I need to get new chains for my car this year and want to know what is best. it will be for a saturn(i know, P.O.S) with 14in tires.
what year/make?

On most 2000+ cars, its cables only. The wife had a set on her 2002 Lancer that *said* it fit but was really loose on 205-15-60 tires and the bag says they'll fit the 205-17-55 wheel on her new Scoobie. We have them in the trunk just in case it gets really nuts out on the roads.

I like the type of cables that tighten (via bungee straps) myself.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
sparelink

it is a 2001 SL1. i am looking at the Amazon.com: Security Chain Super Z6 SZ119, Cable Chain for Passenger Cars, Pickups & SUVs: Automotive
Old 11-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
kylekilljoy

For future reference this topic should probably be in Off Topic, but no worries.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Meh, it's marginally snowboard equipment related. Cables work fine and are easier to use than chains imo. Chains will grip a bit better, but you won't be able to drive quite as fast.

What state are you in? A good set of snow tires will often serve you much better than cables/chains. I know here in Colorado, I have never put cables on my vehicle to travel in the snow. Front wheel drive with studded snow tires have proven to be better than regular tires and cables for me. Some states you'll need to have the cables, especially places like California and Washington where it pukes a ridiculous amount of snow. Add a warmer climate and icing becomes a huge issue when compared to Colorado where it doesn't really go through a freeze/thaw cycle. It's just frozen. Either way, it's a good idea to have chains or cables in your vehicle just in case. Though I have never been forced to use mine, I have put them on from time to time and keep them in my car all winter.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have never used, but keep in my car cable chains. Never needed them in the Pacific Northwest, hopefully wont need them when I go to Vermont! BLIZZAKS!
RomeBeta32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've got some cables in my trunk but have never been in really horrible weather where I've had to use them.
SFshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

my family has always bought year round tires and have dont just fine year round. sure it might depend on the car or truck. but if you have ever drove your car in the snow with no studs or chains and you did ok.......

year round work well. since you are buying tires anyways know your price and look into them if you can.
friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by friends View Post
my family has always bought year round tires and have dont just fine year round. sure it might depend on the car or truck. but if you have ever drove your car in the snow with no studs or chains and you did ok.......

year round work well. since you are buying tires anyways know your price and look into them if you can.
I'm never getting a ride from you ever.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Resident poet

U in hood, does OR have les schwab tirestore?...chains and if you don't use them in the winter they will give you a full refund, there like $60 and really easy to put on. I used my about 4 times in the past 7 years going up Baker...only really need them on the last hairpin