New to snowboarding... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
HiijiNx

Default New to snowboarding...

I just won a burton dominant slick 54 board but I have never boarded...I am a skier but wanna try snowboarding. I am 6'1 215 lbs...can I use this board? Or, should i get something different to learn on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You can't go wrong with free.

It shouldn't give you any problems as a beginner (soft), but should you decide you like snowboarding, you're going to want something more like a 160.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
HiijiNx

Thanks! Yeah I won it at The WarrenMiller show Children of Winter movie premier here in chicago last Sat. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

its a good board, but ya you might want something a little bigger, Im 6'0 175 and I wont go below a 156. Maybe a 154 but thats a stretch
RidePowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiijiNx View Post
I just won a burton dominant slick 54 board but I have never boarded...I am a skier but wanna try snowboarding. I am 6'1 215 lbs...can I use this board? Or, should i get something different to learn on?
The Dominant is pretty much strictly for the park and the Slick is specifically designed for rails (i.e. edges between the bindings are pretty much non-existant). I'm not sure it would be the best board to learn on unless all you want to do is the park. Also, at 215 lbs, that board is WAY to small and will feel like a wet noodle attached to your feet. Again, not ideal to learn on.

It may make it easy at first since the board will be very forgiving of beginner mistakes, but you may pick up a lot of bad habbits that you'll have to overcome if you ever get different board that fits you better

Congrats on winning the board...pretty nice! But you may want to see if you can sell it and learn on a board that works for you much better.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

You could always sell it and get a another board that is nicer and fits you better.
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
HiijiNx

Thanks. I figured that. I did some research and weight wise I'm way off the league. Plus with no edges...I'd look like a fool falling all the time. I appreciate your insight. What board do you think i should get...definately an all Mtn. one. Any recommendations for a beginner like me. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
HiijiNx

I will probably do that. Too bad I wasn't a shredder...this would be great, but still too small.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
fuzzysnowboard

The dominant is really nice. Too bad it isn't the normal one and the right size. Maybe you should rent to see if you like it and then get a board. (Remember if you do get one to go to a good snowboard shop)You might be able to trade someone for a normal dominant. If you don't want to do tricks you could get a fish maybe. Have fun riding!