New board suggestions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board suggestions

Newbie here.
Started snowboarding last winter, and after intensive lessons with a great coach (Tristan at Stoneham Mountain in QC), I fell in love with the sport.

I ride mainly powder, even in Quebec! Trick is, at my job, I got 10 paid days off per year. So everytime there is a snowstorm, I take a day off the next day and go to the mountain.

I'm not sure what I like yet. I didn't do park yet but, because of my skateboard background, I get envy when I go by... So this year i'll go and try a little. My favorite activity is going everywhere. I don't want a activity specific snowboard. I've also encountered ice here in Quebec quite a few times and boy it is scary... The board starts shaking like crazy and it feels like it has no edge anymore to grip. I would just try to stay balanced and hope for the best...

My specs? 170lbs and 5'10". Boot size : 10.

My board is a Capita Stairmaster Extreme 154 that I got secondhand for a wonderful price last year. Condition was not that good but it served me well for the first year. I found it was hard to ride in powder, it would go right in the snow and not float on it. I'm sure also it was my fault too because my technique is not on par. And I found it was also super easy to catch an edge when changing sides. Especially at the end of the slopes, when my board is almost flat and i'm slowly sliding towards the lifts... Then, bam, on the floor and I see ducks flying around my head... Boy it hurts! It's like your head is catapulted on the floor... Never catched an edge in the slope, only at the base...

So this year, got a nice little bonus at my job for my good work and also got a little parental subsidy. I'm looking at my local skateshop and here are some nice deals that i'm considering :
Gnu CC 159 : 252$
Technine Icon 157 : 280$
Burton Wammy bar V-Rocker : 155
Libtech Skate Banana 154 or a 156 : 300$

As you see, i'm kinda wanting to go into the reverse camber. I don't care for high speed chatter as I don't do high speed. I want something that would last me 1-2 year, that will be easy-er in powder than the stairmaster, that will be more edge-forgiving and that will not feel like a toboggan when hitting patches of ice.

also, the Capita, at 154 felt right but when I use online calculators, they always tell me 158 or even sometimes 160's...

Any advice?
Punkulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nitro team gullwing! it is great for park and powder!
tralald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You'll like reverse camber or hybrid for pow. In any case setting your bindings back can lessen the trips over the handlebars. The burton channel system makes this easy to do.

Consider burton Sherlock, great board for soft snow/powder. (Disclaimer: I have one)
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do you ride mostly pow or a more even mix? like 50/50 pow and park.
BigAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

The skate banana out of the boards u picked. It will track hard on the ice (magnatraction) and has a load of pop for the park. Pretty flexy in my opinion (test rode my mates last season) but I'm used to a stiffer board (lib tech dark series). Not as responsive as the dark series though.

From memory it's reverse camber in the middle and flat out the tips, a true twin so riding switch won't be an issue. And being a reverse u won't need to set the bindings back.

IMO once u ride a lib tech u will be a convert! I had a burton love and a K2 (old rubbish thing) before and once going to a hybrid with magnatraction! They really do it all! Bomb powder mountains and carves ice.
Anaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

And what about height? Is 154 too short? Felt good to me. What would be pro's and con's to go higher?
Punkulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Only one of those I'd ride is the T9. CC is blah. Banana is blah and trying to be a board it shouldn't. And the Whammy is straight dangerous.

Any other options?

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Only one of those I'd ride is the T9. CC is blah. Banana is blah and trying to be a board it shouldn't. And the Whammy is straight dangerous.

Any other options?
Care to elaborate on your answers for us newbs? Lol
Anaru is offline   Reply With Quote