K2 t1 DB Intuition Liners - to Heat Mold or Not? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default K2 t1 DB Intuition Liners - to Heat Mold or Not?

Just ordered my 08/09 K2 T1 DB boots. All my local shops (Down State NY) Either don't heat mold or use the hair dryer thing. I've heard from people on here and other forums that the best way to heat mold these linings is in a convection oven. So since no shops near me have an oven, should I let them use the hairdryer style heater or just wear the boots around the house to let my feet mold the liners?
Celt943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd be so scared to throw them in the oven. Blowdryer ftw.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If its all you got let them do it on the stack just check to see what stack they use whether its salomon, Ride, K2, or 32. You want the ride/k2 one.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Take the boots to a hockey shop (an actual hockey shop, not Dick's or whatever). They have molding ovens.

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 11-05-2008 at 07:56 PM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I bought an intuition liner online to put in a pair of Celsius (their first year of production didnt have a heat moldable liner) and cooked it in the oven with instructions I found online. I'm pretty sure I overcooked them because they started to smell like they were burning. I got rid of them after that season so I didnt care. I bought some Vans BFB and took them to the snowboard shop that uses a K2 heat blower to mold liners and it worked pretty good. The surprising thing is you dont need that much heat. So I'd suggest using a blow dryer for a little while until they puff up a bit even if the effects are minimal and let them mold to your feet the rest of the way by riding them.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt943 View Post
Just ordered my 08/09 K2 T1 DB boots. All my local shops (Down State NY) Either don't heat mold or use the hair dryer thing. I've heard from people on here and other forums that the best way to heat mold these linings is in a convection oven. So since no shops near me have an oven, should I let them use the hairdryer style heater or just wear the boots around the house to let my feet mold the liners?
The impression I have is that the thing about Intuitions that makes them so different is that when you heat them they expand inward and outward. Hence the blowdryer method -- they expand out to fit the inside of your boot as well as in to fit the shape of your foot. But if you bake them, when you cram them into your boot they end up crinkling and buckling, which affects the fit and comfort.
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The convection oven heats them from the outside inward with a consistant wave of heat not just forced hot air blowing around inside it heating from the inside out. The reason for heating it outward in is that it will give it a better mold. When you are putting the hot liner back in there is a chance it can crinkle and fold thats why you have to lube the boot with silicone spray and pull it upward with the person standing in it. Its a easy process when viewed in person but describing it does no justice.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
The convection oven heats them from the outside inward with a consistant wave of heat not just forced hot air blowing around inside it heating from the inside out. The reason for heating it outward in is that it will give it a better mold. When you are putting the hot liner back in there is a chance it can crinkle and fold thats why you have to lube the boot with silicone spray and pull it upward with the person standing in it. Its a easy process when viewed in person but describing it does no justice.
B.A.

This is what has me a little concerned, it seems like a process that should be done by a pretty experienced boot guy and I don't really get the feeling that anyone in the shops around me are that good. Mainly they're just kids working part time at a shop to try and score pro forms and other gear discounts, not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't think I wanna hand over my new $300.00 boots to someone who doesn't know EXACTLY what they're doing and risk the liners getting ruined. In your opinion, do you think the liners will mold to my feet just as well by wearing them and that it will do the same thing as heat molding but only take a lot longer?
Celt943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Wearing them in will achieve the same effect at a much slower pace.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here's something you might find helpful:

YouTube - Custom Heat-Molding Scarpa Liners

and

Welcome To Intuition Sports - Trust Your Intuition
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote