lib tech phoenix - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default lib tech phoenix

Hi,

I'm hoping a few people on this forum have experience with Lib Tech Phoenix Lando (or any Phoenix series) and would be willing to share their opinion of it? As far as details go, I'd like to know your riding style, years experience, how the board fit to your style, and most importantly, if you liked it.

I was able to find a couple reviews on this board but nothing beats an honest testimonial.

Thank you!
Air is free is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Air:

1st post / joined Dec '11 ? Where ya been? No matter. Welcome.

About me: 6' 200 lbs. riding 4 seasons now. 30 days a season. No park. Groomers and all the powder I can find. Powder is hard to find in Southern Ontario, but I make the most of what I get.

2012 Lando 160. Rode it last season along with a Rossi OneMagtek and a Burton Barracuda.

The Lando is the stiffest deck of the three. It is not for buttering around on. Much to stiff for that. What it is best for is charging groomers. If you like speed and a board that will hold a solid edge, this is a deck you will like. I have found that I am not a fan of the "pivot" feel that you get when turning this board due to its CRC profile, but many people do like it.

Due to the fact that this is a directional deck, switch is not something it excels at. You can do it, but you have to work at it.

I have no doubt that this board will excel in powder with your bindings set back, but I have yet to have such a day to attest to that. I also cannot give you any feedback on how it handles the glades & such, but given how it handles it should be ok.

Compared to the Rossi, the MT is not as "deep" and as such you get nice edge hold without a "bite". I do like this aspect of the Lando.

In summary, for me this is a dedicated deck for days that are hardpack, maybe icy, and all I want to do is charge.

When I get the right day, the binders will go all the way back and I"ll update how I find it in the powder.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Oldman!

I originally signed up because I had a question two years a go but was able to resolve it with some forum searching. I still browsed the forums on occasion but never really had any questions, just enjoyed learning a lot from everyone else's posts.

Anyways, I really appreciate your thorough response. This definitely sounds like the board for me. I'm currently rocking an 08 custom wide 158 and I wanted a more aggresive all mountain. Something stable at blistering speeds and that cruises through pow. I'm loving the idea of relaxed magnetraction as I've heard the bite can be hard on full MT, like you mentioned.

With the newer lib techs I haven't heard this being much of an issue, but how does the TNT base feel to you? Do you find yourself waxing it more often? Does it feel slow compared to a decent quality sintered base?

Thanks again for your thoughts so far!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Air:

My experience so far is that I do need to keep the Lando waxed to get the most out of it. It is a very good extruded base, but IMO, not as fast as the sintered base on my Rossi or the 'cuda for that matter.

I don't know how physically big you are, but even with my 200 lbs., I find the Lando to be an "inspiring challenge" of a ride. You need to be in the mood to ride aggressively or it will rock you around somewhat. It will pay you back in spades if you charge on it, but get lazy and you'll know it.

As you are coming off a fully cambered Custom, I suspect your technique is pretty good and you will not be fazed by the Lando. I think you will find the biggest change is the feel of the board as you transition from edge to edge due to the rocker between your feet.

Hope this helps, Cheers.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oldman:

All right, I've got no problem keeping it waxed often. I actually find the whole process rather calming.

I'm 6' and 165lbs so I know I'm going to have to go hard all day but I think it will be well worth it.

One last question, because the board has an MT edge, do you tune the edge yourself or take it in to the shop?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

The MT is such that I have no problem doing the edges myself. Nothing spooky about it at all.

Tags
lib tech, phoenix, review