Beginner SL or Proto - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner SL or Proto

Hi,

I am looking to get a new board for nxt season.

I used rentals this season/last.

I am beginner snowboard who got linking turns down.

Abit on the heavy side with 90kgs and size 9-9.5 shoe size.

I have narrowed it down to SL or Proto. My style of riding is mostly all mountain i don't do any park at all.

However i am still not very comfy on high speeds Might have something to do with rentals i used they got very unstable when i got some speed.

However i am also afraid that i am not buying a board which will punish me a lot for mistakes i make since i am still learning..

Would any of those 2 be good for me? or should i look for another board?

Any help would be nice really.

thanks in advance
Xazii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're not looking for park at all why is the Proto even on the list? At your ability level by the time you can really use the SL the way it needs it'll have lost a fair chunk of its "life". Everyone here raves and rants about NS and their wild durability, fact is their boards start to get pretty dead after 60-70 hard days. You'll also probably get tons of people in here stating claims theirs are just like new after 100 days. No. The contruction style doesn't hold life like boards built overseas.

Anyway. I'd be a little more budget minded. Shoot for something a little cheaper that blends ease of ride with long term rideablility. Boards like the K2 Raygun, 2014 Salomon Time Machine, Bataleon Whatever, or a Yes Basic. All of those are easy to ride and won't hold you back as you get better. Then once you're better and maybe have a little more dialed idea of what exact facet of riding yiu like you spend more on something more performance oriented.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!

maybe Heritage if you are set on NS and no park. It should give you more stability at your size as well. For this reason ignore Cobra it is too soft for you big boy.

edit: I agree with what Nivek says about the life of an NS but that is also 60-70 days HARD charging, while a newbie with a Heritage could easily get a few seasons out of it before they really start to press it out.

Last edited by snowklinger; 06-16-2013 at 03:16 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
maybe Heritage if you are set on NS and no park. It should give you more stability at your size as well. For this reason ignore Cobra it is too soft for you big boy.

edit: I agree with what Nivek says about the life of an NS but that is also 60-70 days HARD charging, while a newbie with a Heritage could easily get a few seasons out of it before they really start to press it out.
Unless I'm doing my math wrong isn't 90kg only 200lbs? Not THAT heavy in terms of a boards capability to be ridden.

I appreciate someone else noticing the life span, but is it really worth trying to learn on a Heritage when easier and cheaper options exist? Meh. Also while the 200lbs isn't hard to fit, that much weight is going to effect board life faster than 150lbs on a 154 (me).

Also, buy my things?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am going to say that board performance is noticeably different on any deck after 60-70 days. I've never seen anyone make a board that isn't. That is just how it is. Is the board worth the premium you pay for it betweene those times? For Never Summer a lot of people will say yes. I do for what I like to ride. Their boards fit that mold. It is not necessarily what you need either. Nivek's point is valid.

Last edited by killclimbz; 06-17-2013 at 12:52 PM.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply guys..

Reason why i have Neversummer in there is because most shops actually told me to get them..

Don't know if its a sales gimmick..

Also on forums i see people telling beginners to get SL or Proto..

The reason why i put Proto in there was because its softer and more of a 1board that can do it all

I really appreciate you being honest..

I am getting a really good deal on Capita Horrorscope for half the prize really.

But is the board any good for my needs?
Xazii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think the horrorscope will be fine for you. It's a great board it's flat & reverse camber so it will be a bit more forgiving.

It's a pretty soft board so it won't be the best at high speeds. My rec would be to get the 155. I'm around your weight and I found that the 155 is great for cruising around the mountain, and then when you are ready, venture into the park. It won't be the most stable at higher speeds.

I honestly prefer shorter boards that's why I got 155. I take mobility over stability especially when you are still pretty new.
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xazii View Post

Reason why i have Neversummer in there is because most shops actually told me to get them..
Of course. It's expensive.

Quote:
I am getting a really good deal on Capita Horrorscope for half the prize really.

Do not buy that. It is strictly a jib board. One I hated in fact. It will be more unstable than a rental board.

Also, buy my things?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Don't know if its a sales gimmick..

Also on forums i see people telling beginners to get SL or Proto..

The reason why i put Proto in there was because its softer and more of a 1board that can do it all

I really appreciate you being honest..

I just ordred the proto this weekend, I have a horrorscope, i like that the corner edges dont catch and slam u into the snow!
czoid74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't ride lazy and sloppy and you won't catch an edge and get slammed. If you want a board to be a little less catchy, just detune the contact points. Catching an edge is always 100% on the rider though. Certain camber profiles and sidecuts can be less catchy than others, but if you catch an edge on any board you fucked up.