Help me pick a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me pick a board

Ok guys I am new here and this site has already taught me quite a bit. Let me give you a little background on myself. I am a 17 year old kid names Chris who lives in Utah I am 5ft 11 and weigh 185. Last season was my first year ever boarding and I fell in love. So for next season I want to buy a whole new set up. I want a park board that kills it for jumps jibs and butters. I have a budget of about $500. So fell free to give me your opinion on a good board and bindings for me. Thanks
christopherbbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What does your budget need to buy you...??? Just a board or board and bindings or more...???

I think you will be pushing it for anymore with that budget, but you may find some luck with the reduced price of stuff from this past season...

There are many bargains to be had, but in terms of what you can afford depends on how far the money needs to go...

Freestyle Snowboards | Backcountry.com

That will give you an idea of the savings that can be had, but it will be last seasons not next seasons, so the price reflects that... But it is not necessarily a bad think, many a bargain to be had..

And i am not saying you have to buy from somewhere like this, but it is a good starting place for ideas of prices you should expect...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Jibpan 153, K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, Lamar Word 154
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Since you're new, something that's good for a beginner but something you can progress with. If you're thing is park, you'll want board/bindings that are responsive and have decent flex, but stable enough for you to build upon as a beginner to learn good habits. Before you jump into the park, I'd go out and master riding in general. And learning to ride switch, if park is your thing, would be good. Do your own research and don't buy something because somebody says its a good or shitty. It's your money, so get what you're happy with. If you can, demo some stuff before you buy it.

Last edited by jwelsh83; 06-22-2013 at 03:51 PM.
jwelsh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Like Kevin said, It's the perfect time before the 2014 stuff rolls out to find good deals
jwelsh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick replies. I want to buy a whole new board and binding setup. I don't need the absolute best. I just want board that is better for park. The one I have right now is insanely stiff. If I have to I could spend a little more. I'm just looking for something to learn new tricks on.

What are some good brands of boards and bindings and sizes for my height? Thanks for the help
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Boards: Flow Verve, Salomon Sabotage, Nitro Rook, Yes Jackpot, Signal Park Camber, or a Bataleon Airobic. Between 154-157.

Bindings: K2 Formulas, Salomon Districts, Raiden Phantoms, Flux TT30, Burton Cartel ReFlex.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Chris,

Your budget will go a long way for a jib board. You can buy an amazing kit very inexpensively. One more piece of info from you so we can all get you some informed suggestions. What is your foot size?

PS: Do you have a favorite brand that you were leaning towards?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would probably be inclined to think about maybe one of these...

Flow Era Snowboard | Backcountry.com

in a 155cm

and maybe some of these

Rome 390 Snowboard Binding | Backcountry.com

Board is $216
Bindings are $138

Total $354

And a sensible but progressive set up for you to grow with and into...

But search prices and products more for yourself before you decide...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Jibpan 153, K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, Lamar Word 154
Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Chris,

Your budget will go a long way for a jib board. You can buy an amazing kit very inexpensively. One more piece of info from you so we can all get you some informed suggestions. What is your foot size?

PS: Do you have a favorite brand that you were leaning towards?
My boot size is 11..... I might buy some new boots to so is there anythingyou have to watch for to tell the ddifference between good and bad boots?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think the only thing you need to worry about with boots is that you buy them in a bricks and mortar store, or at least try them on in one...!!!

Just because you are a certain size, does not mean they will all fit you in that same size...!!!

Also some boots fit better with some bindings, so if you have a set up, you can see how they fit the bindings as well as your feet, although it may be that you buy the boots 1st then get bindings to fit...

Haha

I only use boots with the BOA system, and have got stuck on buying the same boot every season now, being the Vans Aura, with a half size between the boots i buy, for winter and spring, as i wear thicker socks when we have cold weather, so need a bigger boot... But always the same boot now and new every year for 2 pairs...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides