Edge replacement/repair - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
TheCarGuy2021

Default Edge replacement/repair

Hey folks, I've got an '04 Burton T6 which has been one of my main goto boards since I've had it. One of my trips out west last year, I was pretty hard on my equipment. I ended up coming back with broken '05 C-60 bindings, and damaging my edge. I decided to get some new '09 C-60s this year and repair my T6 and get a few more years out of it. I have a degree in automotive engineering and high performance automotive, so naturally I'm a DIY guy. I've always repaired/maintained my boards myself, but I have never done an edge replacement. From my understanding I need to delaminate around the damaged part of the edge, use 45 degree angles on the replacement edge, use epoxy, jewlery screws, etc. I already have all of the supplies, and many many other snowboard tools laying around. I'm just posting this here to ask what tips, tricks, things to be cautious about you guys have from experience doing this. Here are a few pics of the damage.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, good luck with the repair. If it was mine I would just look for a new board.
mesomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
TheCarGuy2021

It's definitely repairable. Considering what I paid for the board back in the day, I'd like to keep using it.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's as gnarly as it gets. I've seen a repair like that done, but only by an experienced ski tech. He cut out a semi circle of base, rebuilt the edge and side wall with a 3-4 inch piece from another board and did a dye-cut looking base repair with material from an old ski. So my Burton board had a Head logo in the semi circle of base...

Good luck with that one...
Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
TheCarGuy2021

I'll be following this to a dime. I'll let you know how it goes.
Telemark Ski Base and Ski Edge Repair Guide
Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Twix

Wow man, that sounds pretty crazy. I understand wanting to salvage your baby, but shit, that's a lot of tedious work. A lot of work even for a professional. Good luck.

If I were you I'd chalk it up to a board well used, head down to your local snowboard shop, and support the economy in your home town.

The last thing you want, is to be on a trip and have that edge pop out in the middle of a beautiful day and have to either call it quits, or try to find a board you want in whatever shop they have nearby.

As a fellow "DIY'er" I say again, good luck.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
TheCarGuy2021

Considering some of the things I've done around the shop in the industry I'm in, this doesn't seem that tedious or time consuming. I'll be taking pictures along the way for a DIY thread.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

repairs on stuff that gnarly tend to not hold up very long
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Twix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarGuy2021 View Post
Considering some of the things I've done around the shop in the industry I'm in, this doesn't seem that tedious or time consuming. I'll be taking pictures along the way for a DIY thread.

If it doesn't seem tedious or time consuming, why are you asking for advice or tips? Obviously since you're an automotive engineer you should have absolutely no problems at all fixing a snowboard. I mean, the two go hand in hand.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
TheCarGuy2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
If it doesn't seem tedious or time consuming, why are you asking for advice or tips? Obviously since you're an automotive engineer you should have absolutely no problems at all fixing a snowboard. I mean, the two go hand in hand.
Perhaps this is why I tend to stick to automotive forums. The repair seems pretty straight forward, but there are always little tricks that can make the outcome a little better or the job a little easier (such as mixing steel wool shavings in the epoxy for a stronger hold, or wrapping the edge anchors in kevlar twine).

I understand that I'm much better off just buying a new snowboard or just using one of my others, but if I can repair this one I can't justify buying a new board. If it doesn't turn out so well and the edge comes apart on the slopes, so be it. I'll continue riding it until day's end.