Gortex for pants and jacket or waste of money - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
slushpunk

Default Gortex for pants and jacket or waste of money

I am looking at the Burton AK Jackets and Pants, and just wondering what everyones take on Gortex. Alot of people say it is a waste of money, considering most company's gear is already waterproof to a certain degree.

In whistler in can get very damp here, but I would not suggest I ride in the rain

What's your take on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
BoardingBurnt

I went with the Burton Gore-tex RAW Denims for this season, but i got them for more than 50% off the retail price. Goretex prides it self on being the most waterproof membrane out their, and it is, but it is questionable if it is even necissary...so i'll give u the facts and u decide.
Goretex has a 30-36 thousand mL waterproof stat on its side
BUT...
To be considered waterproof on the market you only need 2 thousand mL waterproof capabilities

That being said I wouldnt go with something with only 2000 mL .... Id say anything from 10 - 15 thousand mL waterproof is enough which are also the most common capabilities for any membrane other than goretex
Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

I certianly use it in the rain, 20,000/20,000
Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

For most situations, Gore-Tex would be overkill.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
wbsr

you are overlooking another great feature to gore-tex. its BREATHEABILITY !! it will keep you warm and dry during the storms, and when you are riding hard, it lets your sweat escape so you stay warm and dry. try riding in a plastic bag, and tell me how comfortable you are once you are covered in sweat.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
jewps

anybody that says Gore-tex is a waste of money, you definitely have never used that material. I would never buy any winter clothing without it. Sure you pay a premium, for its licensing but the difference between that Stormtec stuff and Gore-tex is the ability to sleep in the snow without getting wet. I do that quite often waiting for friends and stuff, it's been years since I've had wet bottom, while my friends all complain about their Burton, 686, clothing. ha.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
code15

I agree, after paying for a lower end jacket each year i finally decide to throw down the extra cash for a gortex one. And its so worth it.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Twix

The "company" I work for gives us gore-tex jackets and pants to wear for winter/rain. I've gone through my fair share of gore-tex and I also own high end Burton, 686, and Volcom gear. Gore-tex is far superior to any other material in terms of weather protection. Trust me on this one, I've tested my gore-tex in some of the harshest conditions in the world, due to whom it is that I work for.

It's worth the money.

Last edited by Twix; 11-11-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

waste of money.......gore tex is all name there is plenty of other membranes that do the same thing as goretex.......... maybe 5-10 yrs ago it was worth it but now there are a million things identical to it without the name GORETEX on it .....save some $$$
Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

In a climate like what you find in the Rocky Mountain region (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming etc...) Gore-tex is not something that is needed as much. The drier snowfalls and all, I can get away with very minimal waterproofing on most of my gear and it's fine. In a climate like Whistler, Gore-tex is a great idea. Or another similar fabric such as Event, which might save you a few bucks, but the costs are probably going to be close to the same. You want some sort of water proof fabric that uses a "membrane" for repellancy and not a treatment (dwr). Over a long season the dwr will wear out and you'll get soaked. That stuff works fine for the visiting rider, but I wouldn't want it if I was a local.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote