Japan Board - Need Help to Narrow Down Choices - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Not as much "for the gnar" as you'd think. It is definitely the most freeride of the lot but totally rideable everyday for someone looking for a more than all mountain board. With the shit Xavier does he values liveliness as much or possibly even more than dampness. So the board isn't as stiff as you'd think.
I'm basing my thoughts off the experience. I know that Xavier changed it up, but I assumed it would still have the dampness. I find the Experience to be a great allmountain board, but the dampness in pow isn't as fun as other decks, albeit super stable. I'm looking forward to seeing how the juice wagon stacks up against it in the gnar.

Anyhoo, I just reread the OP and realized that he's only going for 10 days! Are you planning on riding in Australia too?
You know, you could rent a board for the 10 days. In Hakuba you can rent k2's, I think I saw an Ultra dream in the shop the one time I went. They also had lib techs. Or you can just rent yourself a Gentemstick and have the best of the best!

Another option is to get 2 boards: one fun board, one pure pow board.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
Or you can just rent yourself a Gentemstick and have the best of the best!

i would go with this suggestion. rent some Gentemsticks, they'll definitely change your mind about conventional popsicle-stick board designs
ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Lib tech birdman 170 or 160 if you dont like big boards. Will out float any of those other boards
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Lib tech birdman 170 or 160 if you dont like big boards. Will out float any of those other boards
Sorry, but no. Yes, it will out-float anything mentioned here (other than most Gentemsticks) - rocker with a long nose will do that for you. But not what the OP is asking for, as it really not a charging deck - rocker with a long/flappy nose is not what you want for that.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Its camber under foot jerry. Charges pretty damn well for me and big floppy nose isnt how i would describe the 160.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

You guys have given me some more boards to think about. Not interested in renting, it's not the first or the last time I'll be hitting the snow. Riding in Australia? Not worth it, NZ yes definitely, probably in July/Aug after the Japan trip.

I'm kinda looking for a quality all round board that I can grow into a little and while I know there is no one perfect board, something that does most things well is what I'm aiming for. If I had the chance to board more often I'd have a quiver.

What about a BSOD? Though I've read plenty say it's a little soft?

Judging by most feedback it's Ultra Dream or the PYL?
Hogester79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd take the ultra dream over the pyl. If you look on boardworld.co.au there's a couple of aussies that got the pyl and the rocker camber profile is different ... apparently from switching factories last year.

Ultra dream will be good on NZ hardpack too. I tried one last winter and it carved well and floated too...plus it's a twinnish shape
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Its camber under foot jerry. Charges pretty damn well for me and big floppy nose isnt how i would describe the 160.
Only if you have been standing on the nose for a long time or have stuck the deck into your press... Otherwise it is pretty much the standard BTX profile - rocker between the feet and flat out to the contact points.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm also planning to hit Hakuba for the first time next Feb. I've been through all the posts on this board and I am super excited. When do you plan to book your hotel? I'm hesitating because I read everything needs a deposit and I haven't locked down exact dates. I'm worried that I might wait too long and miss the opportunity to get a good place to stay.

I actually picked up a NS Raptor (165) on sale at the end of season to make the trip over with me. It was between this and the Ultra Dream for me but I thought I'd get a lot more use out of the Raptor overall. Also, everybody here seems to really love the NS stuff so it seemed worth trying.

All I can do now is stare at the new board on the wall until the new season starts though. I'm trying to decide whether to put the Capos or IPOs on it (the other will go on my TRS). Leaning towards the Capos but I figure Ill get a good couple of months of riding each board before heading over.
Conrad Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Default Let's start over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
If I had any choice in the world it'd probably be either an Ultra Dream, PYL, or Rossi XV.
Nivek, let's be friends. I love the Rossi XV. It's the board I will be getting for the 14 season. It's sick. Do you know when it's coming out/cost/info etc. Because there's almost like no info on it.
NASA is offline   Reply With Quote