Japan Board - Need Help to Narrow Down Choices - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Japan Board - Need Help to Narrow Down Choices

Guys,

First post.. yeah a total virgin don't hurt me too much

Off to Japan for about 10 days in Feb next year (Hakuba) and need some help narrowing down a choice of new board.

Been snowboarding a bit (on and off for a few years) I'd call myself intermediate and with more time on the snow moving hopefully keep learning and improving so I want something that works for me now and won't need an upgrade for a while.

Dets - 5'7 - 185/190lbs size 8.5 boot.

Style - Pure Freeride, groomers, pow pow (why else go to Japan?) not interested in park. Fast, slow, whatever takes my fancy and whatever the mountain throws at me for the day.

Potential Lists

a) YES PYL
b) GNU Billy Goat
c) NS Heritage or Raptor
d) Capita TFA
e) K2 Ultra
g) Jones Mountain Twin

I am pretty much looking for a board that will hold a nice edge, let me do most things and charge as hard as I want. I was leaning towards a YES or NS.

I know these requests get asked to death but being in Aus we don't get as many opportunities to hit quality snow/ demo the range that the rest of the world does. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on my choices.

Thanks
Hogester79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hey, I spend most of my winters riding in Hakuba.
All of those boards you listed will be fine. Be aware that while we get lots of pow, it's not pow every day, especially if you stay inbounds.

off topic: if you do intend to ride out of bounds, make sure you have 1)the correct safety equipment and 2) take an avalanche course from Evergreen or steepdeepjapan.com
every year we find aussies with no gear and no clue following tracks in the backcountry
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Supra,

Yeah I was pretty aware that most of the days aren't going to be pure power days so thats why I wanted something that would be able to do most of the options the day brings.

I won't be going backcountry (still need some more experience) and I'm happy to go to Hakuba/Japan and play by their rules. If I get to the point I want to do something different I'm the type of guy that would pay a guide to take me.

I was hoping they would mostly fit what I wanted (or one was better than another) just to help me narrow it down somewhat - Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If I had any choice in the world it'd probably be either an Ultra Dream, PYL, or Rossi XV.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well I have the funds for any board in the world

its just a matter of getting some thoughts on what people think/like and their impressions.

I can only source a PYL in the 2014 models and not sure if they are changing much from the 2013 version?

I've seen you (Nivek) say that you liked the Ultra Dream a lot and thats kinda why it was on my list.

I'll check out the Rossi when I've got 5 mins

Thanks Nivek
Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

don't bother with the rossi. it's more for the gnar.
you want something that's medium stiff with rockered tips/nose. The ultra dream is good.
On Happo there is a cool park which is mostly banks...hence the name, 'Happo Banks'. Anyways, it's good fun and having a board that's a little playful isn't a bad thing.

The boards in your list are all all mountain boards and will handle the conditions no problem. The board profiles are quite different though and you have to think a little about whether you want rocker between your feet or what. If you don't have much experience right now, you prob don't have an idea of how everything feels. If that's the case, choose the board from your list based on how much you like the company and the graphics of the board. They will all work and you'll get used to whichever board you get...and love it since all boards feel great in great conditions.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys, pretty much the ones I was hoping for a reply I ended up with.

I've done a heap of research before this post so I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

I will let you know when decision time comes as to what I picked

Cheers
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogester79 View Post
Guys,

First post.. yeah a total virgin don't hurt me too much

Off to Japan for about 10 days in Feb next year (Hakuba) and need some help narrowing down a choice of new board.

Been snowboarding a bit (on and off for a few years) I'd call myself intermediate and with more time on the snow moving hopefully keep learning and improving so I want something that works for me now and won't need an upgrade for a while.

Dets - 5'7 - 185/190lbs size 8.5 boot.

Style - Pure Freeride, groomers, pow pow (why else go to Japan?) not interested in park. Fast, slow, whatever takes my fancy and whatever the mountain throws at me for the day.

Potential Lists

a) YES PYL
b) GNU Billy Goat
c) NS Heritage or Raptor
d) Capita TFA
e) K2 Ultra
g) Jones Mountain Twin

I am pretty much looking for a board that will hold a nice edge, let me do most things and charge as hard as I want. I was leaning towards a YES or NS.

I know these requests get asked to death but being in Aus we don't get as many opportunities to hit quality snow/ demo the range that the rest of the world does. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on my choices.

Thanks
Pretty much agree with the other posters - from that list the Ultra Dream and the PYL are the top choices.
The Billy Goat and NS decks are probably more board than you will ever need in Japan and also not the most floaty decks. From NS the Cobra could be an option - you want at least the 158. Brando Lando could be an even better match (tapered!), but is an unknown quantity for now.

Last edited by hktrdr; 07-04-2013 at 12:12 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
don't bother with the rossi. it's more for the gnar.
you want something that's medium stiff with rockered tips/nose. The ultra dream is good.
On Happo there is a cool park which is mostly banks...hence the name, 'Happo Banks'. Anyways, it's good fun and having a board that's a little playful isn't a bad thing.

The boards in your list are all all mountain boards and will handle the conditions no problem. The board profiles are quite different though and you have to think a little about whether you want rocker between your feet or what. If you don't have much experience right now, you prob don't have an idea of how everything feels. If that's the case, choose the board from your list based on how much you like the company and the graphics of the board. They will all work and you'll get used to whichever board you get...and love it since all boards feel great in great conditions.
Not as much "for the gnar" as you'd think. It is definitely the most freeride of the lot but totally rideable everyday for someone looking for a more than all mountain board. With the shit Xavier does he values liveliness as much or possibly even more than dampness. So the board isn't as stiff as you'd think.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am pretty much in agreement with the rest of the posters here.

I would personally go with the Ultra dream from your list, although I haven't ridden it I have had a look at one and the tips will surely give a lot of float and the board is still a good all mountain shape.

I may pick one up myself for this coming winter, there are other contenders though.

As for length you might want to go 161 since you are not bothered about park. More stability and float, since it has a lot of rocker in the tip and tail I believe the contact points will be quite close in.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote