Buying New Gear - new rider needs help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying New Gear - new rider needs help

Hey guys!

So i have decided im going to be snowboarding a bit this year and figured i will buy the gear that i need instead of picking up rentals. (I have gone a few times, but nothing that id do very often, which i want to start doing)

I am
17 years old, Male.

Ive been doing some research in the past week or so on certain brands, sizes etc. i Believe i should be looking for a board in the 160 area but i have heard about board weight limits and i am not sure what they exactly are, which is what ive had most my problems are. As with my boot size being to large and hanging over the board to much?

This is what i have had in mind -

Board - (Lamar Ultra Bronze Snowboard 159) (159 to small?, what other brands are good to look at?)
Best Prices on Lamar Ultra Bronze Snowboard 159 - Mens Snowboard Snowboarding Gear Equipment

Bindings - (Flow Flite 3 Snowboard Bindings)
Save on Flow Flite 3 Snowboard Bindings Black - Mens Snowboards Binding Snowboarding Gear Equipment

Boots - (Burton Moto Snowboard Boots)(Should i get a size 12 or 11.5?)
Best Prices on Burton Moto Snowboard Boots Black/Grey - Mens Snowboards Boot Snowboarding Gear Equipment

My questions are, will those bindings fit with that board and is the style of bindings durable, i did a few searches and people seem to like them because they are quick and easy to use once they get them fit for their boot? And im guessing i need a XL Size for the bindings right? I would like to spend no more than 380-400$ total with boots,bindings,board since this is my first board.

Thank you all in advance, if you guys have any questions, i will respond as soon as possible.
paymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

1. Take that Lamar and throw it out with your trash. Seriously, it's a junk board and not worth the money you'll spend on it. There are better boards to get for starting out.

2. Though I like Flow bindings, these are not the ones to get. When buying Flow, you want to get into their higher end binders.

3. Burton Moto's, "meh". You can probably find a more supportive boot for around the same cost.

Sorry to shoot them all down like that. Out of everything listed, the Moto's are about the only thing I would consider.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with renting the first few times out. A few others on the board here should chime in on what would be good first boards and such for your level. I would wait and check out the recommendations before buying cheap gear that won't last.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Drop the crappy board. O-Matic makes more affordable boards that aren't low on the quality scale (so does Technine). Also you'll probably want a wide board. 159 won't be too small, but for freeriding you'll probably want something more like a 161. L/XL bindings will be fine.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
SpringheelJack

You should buy boots first, and don't have any preconceptions going in, don't bother researching. Just try on every boot you can find, and get the most comfortable. As tight as possible without being uncomfortable a bit tight is alright (but not painful) they'll break in. Loose isn't...they'll break in, and then your ankles. I say don't research because if you're anything like me, you'll get your heart set on something, then find yourself reasons to buy it. That's alright for bindings and boards, not boots.

After that you can check out bindings: try renting Flows before buying, I've never tried em but they inspire a strong love/hate. Rome and Union are two well-loved brands for traditional bindings. Then go for boards, there's a crapload of companies that offer quality boards. If you're looking to go cheap most of them offer cheaper beginner boards. Since you're interested in Flows, I'd suggest renting decent equipment (As opposed to the cheapo-rentalshop crap) two days, one with Flows and one with regular bindings and two different beginner level boards that catch your eye to get a feel for what you want.

But honestly, if you can find stuff (Bindings and boards) dirt cheap and they seem good enough, go for it. I got my whole first set up for $100 off Craigslist. You can use it to figure out what you're really looking for, and if you really like snowboarding then upgrade next year without feeling bad.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

09 O-matic Boron 162 Wide (26.6) $300
09 Technine Mass Appeal 160 Midwide (25.4) $300
08 Rome Arsenal L/XL $100
(Technine MFM Pro bindings are always popping up on SteepAndCheap/WhiskeyMilitia, although I can't remember if they are in L/XL or M/L (Technine M/L will struggle to fit a size 12 boot))

(none of these come with a free gift, so if that's worth something to you...)

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 11-11-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Technine Split T 163 Black Wide (26.65) $230
Technine Split T 163 Red Wide (26.65) $230

Technine Mass Appeal 163 Black Midwide (25.76) $250
Technine Mass Appeal 163 White Midwide (25.76) $250

(all 2008 models (not the best prices) + free gift)

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 11-11-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

thanks. looks like il push my budget up a bit more. Thanks for the help, il keep looking around for good deals. So those Rome bindings are good quality or what?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Arsenals are stiff freeride bindings. If you want to go softer (i.e. you enjoy a lot of time in the park), 08 Rome 390 L/XL. Again, not the best price, but these things are hard to find in L/XL (mucho popular).

necro edit! ooo $114 (rust/white L/XL)

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 11-11-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

nice! i think il pick those bindings up,(unless someone thinks i shouldent) they have a very nice pride and i dont mind the colors.