Hot wax alternative for travel? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
earlvb

Default Hot wax alternative for travel?

Yeah, I know nothing beats a hot wax, but is there another method to use when traveling? I plan to go to Whistler for a week. I'll wax my board before I go. That should take me about half way through the week depending on the snow. I don't want to hot wax to keep things simple, and to keep the mess down. Are there any good alternatives? How about the rub ons, pastes, or liquid waxes? Will one of those types work better than the others? How are the quick waxes from DaKine? Is there a better brand or specific product to go with? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I take a Dakine rub on wax with me, but honestly just get it done either at the mountain or in the town closest. Most will do it overnight and you'll be good to go for the next morning. Rub on and paste waxes are just not the same and generally wear off after your first couple of runs
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman View Post
. My thought is since your at an epic location you should have the best setup while there. Hot wax is it!. Just bring a scrapper and some wax and use an iron in the hotel room if they have one.

My thoughts exactly....you're obviously hoping for an epic trip if you want your board to be in such good fettle that you're willing to spend on rub-on waxes etc. Either get a local shop to do it overnight or buy a cheap, plastic painting drop cloth ($2) and do a hot wax in your hotel room. An iron, stick of wax and a scraper won't take much more room than a a tube of rub-on
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Since it's Whistler, you can easily get this done at the mountain, they've only got a dozen board shops within spitting distance of either base. And depending on where you're staying -- fancy schmancy hotel or low-budge hostel -- odds are good they'll have a room and equipment for you to do it there. Just ask about it when you book your reservation.
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
earlvb

Thanks guys. Yeah, this is probably the time to pay and let someone else do it. I'd still be interested to hear if someone has any other suggestions. I'll probably pick up one of the quick waxes just in case. I may bring along the wax gear too. If I do, I could get stuck doing all my friends boards. Of course maybe I could make them do all the scraping.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Came across this stuff the other day. It looks like it might be pretty good.

Zardoz notwax

Zardoz NotWax
Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
wbsr

you can get your board waxed on-mountain in Whistler for about $10. It isn't a great job (and they use cheap hydrocarbon wax), but its a hot wax job.

If you care about performance, use flouro wax, so either pay for a shop in the valley to do it or do it yourself (most hotels have waxing rooms you can use, you get an iron from reception)

or you can use Spicy sports (for example) in the valley, they charge $20 for a snowboard wax, click here for their prices