Stance - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stance

whats the advantage of a wide stance.. better poop easier to spin idk.
snwr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
whats the advantage of a wide stance.. better poop easier to spin idk.
Haha I always prefer a wide stance when I poop! Keeps me from falling off! Seriously though I think you should just ride what is comfortable you're feet will typically be around shoulder width apart. I like to be centered on the board also as in my back foot is as far from the tail as my front is from the tip.
bobepfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

a wide stance is usually employed by fashion victim grommets who fail to appreciate the benefits of wearing a belt with their ill fitting baggies.

otherwise, there is supposed to be added stability when riding rails, but otherwise, it can just give evil bruises to the insides of your calves.

go with what is comfortable for you; usually measured from ankle joint to middle of knee cap.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Wide stance is great on rails and it makes it easier to spin and suck your legs up to grab. And so much more stability when landing anything.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eurotuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Wide stance is great on rails and it makes it easier to spin and suck your legs up to grab. And so much more stability when landing anything.
?? I thought a wider stand was kinda harder to spin cause you have move swing weight out there...
Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
idleline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotuner View Post
?? I thought a wider stand was kinda harder to spin cause you have move swing weight out there...
What I've always found to be true is that wide is stable and narrow is nimble. But it really just goes to show that stance width is mostly a personal preference as to what feels comfortable.

I'll be riding an ics board for the first time this year and pretty stoked about the flexability it offers for stance.

Last edited by idleline; 11-18-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Not if you do it right. With a wider stance you can generate more energy in your feet as you spin. Come in to a jump hard on your heels and use your body's lower center of gravity and increased stability to really pop and spin. I guess people strictly adhere to this theory but anyone who rides wide and big fast jumps knows what I'm talking about.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Eurotuner

Hmm, well when you put it that way it makes sense lol. I was just thinking logically... i haven't done much spins, planning on starting this year Thx for the tip!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A wider stance lets you send the power to the tips of the board that you are turning, rather than pushing from the middle. When you want to rotate a piece of furniture, you don't push from the middle, you take an end.

I personally think a wide stance always works better than a closed stance. I find I have more control, more turning power and better stability.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Talking

[QUOTE]PaoloSmythe;79572]a wide stance is usually employed by fashion victim grommets who fail to appreciate the benefits of wearing a belt with their ill fitting baggies.

[QUOTE]

Awww come on be fair, not everyone who has a wide stance is a thugged out G, some of us just enjoy the added stability and ease of spin that comes with it.

The reason why its easier to spin is simple. You have to think of your board as a lever, the longer the arm the less force it would take to move. (gonna try to show off how smart I am here) a 2ft long lever with 4lbs of pressure produces 8lbs-ft of pressure(2ftx4lbs). Now if your lever is 4ft instead you only need to apply 2lbs of pressure (2lbsx4ft). Hope that makes sence.

Last edited by Random Hero; 11-18-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Random Hero is offline   Reply With Quote