Yes Basic - For a beginner - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yes Basic - For a beginner

Hi Guys,

So I posted a few days ago mentioning that I was looking to buy my first board and was looking into the Never Summer SL (2013), however due to the cost of the board here in England and also some reviews that I heard that it could be a bit too much for a beginner to handle, I have put that board on the back burner and looked for another.

I have come now across the YES Basic. Not many reviews on here regarding the 2013 version (i promised I have searched the forums and google). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the board and what you opinions are regarding it being used for a beginner.

My details are:

Height: 5ft 8
Weight: 78kg
Boots: Vans Hi Standard

I am mainly on groomers, but would like to eventually progress to more all mountain stuff. I will probably be doing 1% park, lol, I really want to learn to do some small jumps. I am too old and too stiff to be jibbing and doing backward flips. I am a complete beginner, turns are being linked well, not very good at going straight and fast though, but want to learn.

My main point is to get a board that I can grow into.

Oh and if you could recommend some bindings to complement the board and my boots, that would be great. I have narrowed some down to the Burton Cartel, Burton Mission, Union Force and Flux TT30.

I have reserved a YES Basic 157 right now, it costs 219 ($333) so seems like an excellent price over here. The Never Summer SL is 339 ($515) cheapest.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
KRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Burton Process is a good beginner to intermediate board. You can't go wrong with the cartels either...probably one of burton's most popular bindings. Whether you go with EST or Reflex as far as burton bindings go, is up to you. EST work great with the channel of course and ofter the most response. Some people like a little bit stiffer binding feel, me, I want to milk as much as I can out of my bindings depending on my board stiffness. I've got a Custom X, which is pretty stiff, so I went with the Genesis EST to get more binding response. Different folks, different strokes. Try not go get hung up on people's opinions...if you're able, demo some stuff and find out for yourself.
jwelsh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your response.

The problem is that I cannot demo at all here in London So forums and internet reviews is the best I can hope for.

I will look into the Process
Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

No prob. To avoid confusion, I was referring to a cambered process, not the Flying V. Not trying to insult your intelligence, two different profiles. If your looking for a beginner to intermediate, go cambered.
jwelsh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh83 View Post
No prob. To avoid confusion, I was referring to a cambered process, not the Flying V. Not trying to insult your intelligence, two different profiles. If your looking for a beginner to intermediate, go cambered.
LOL

No offence taken. I was actually looking into the Flying V as they were in stock.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC View Post
The YES Basic is a fantastic board. But.... I think it was geared for the park. It's a true twin, but with a directional flex. The flex doesnt really make a difference, because flex wont do anything with the surface area in pow that prevents the true twin from sinking in. Its fantastic for groomers, etc resort stuff, but if your going YES. and they are a great company, I would get the PICK YOUR LINE. Good luck
The PYL is a pretty stiff board for a beginner. Something in between the Basic and the PYL is the Greats (Asym in 2014 lineup). If the OP is committed to Yes, the Greats is an all mountain killer that carves well and has plenty of pop for jumps.

As an aside, watching Romain De Marchi slaying it out there on a Basic is a treat. Not that the OP should take this to mean that he too can ride like Romain, more a testament to how good the pros are!
Peyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey!

I am not really focussing on any specific brand, I am just on the look out for one that will be awesome for my skill set and can still be awesome when I learn to do more.

The PYL is a bit stuff for a rider like myself, I was looking into the greats but was advised not to by the shop owner. It was only 30 more and the reviews for it are pretty awesome.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

WOW

What a bloomin epic response!

Thanks for making my choice even harder! Ha

On a serious note thank for that response, will look into each board you mentioned!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lol!

Defo agree.

Also I do not want to spend that much due to the lack of experience I have.

I looked at the boards you recommended ABC, I cannot find either in my size the Arbor is way out my budget to. Should have tried looking a lot earlier, I think I have missed the boat.

Looks like the Basic is probably the only one I can get my hands on.

You got any experience with it?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC View Post
The flex doesnt really make a difference, because flex wont do anything with the surface area in pow that prevents the true twin from sinking in.
Riiight. Yeah having a stiffer tail to push on and a softer nose that the snow can push up on easier doesn't make a true twin float better. Youre totally right.

OP: I only got as far as this dooders post so I don't know if you made a decision yet. If not I would personally go with the Basic over the Process. Better option in my opinion. And you won't out grow it anytime soon. I could ride that board every day in every condition here in Colorado and be satisfied.

Edit: read the whole thread. PYL is too much board and by the time you get good enough to really use it right you'll want something new anyway. Waist of money. I have never had a great time on a DC. They make some decent decks but each o e lacked somewhere. Greats, this is about as stiff as I'd go if I were you. And it is a fantastic board. The Coda is also amazing, but I still prefer beginners start on something predominately camber. Especially if you think yoh'll be more of an all mountain rider than park rat. Camber teaches you to drive the board, rocker is more guiding the board.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Last edited by Nivek; 07-18-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote